Help please! My monitor wont recognize HD5870!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by damage^, Nov 11, 2011.

1. damage^

damage^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    So... i upgraded from HD4830... i installed the HD5870 in the case... checked the requirements, 2 x PCI-E and 500W... no problem...

but my monitor wont recognize it when i start the computer??? its like in standby.... just stays black there..... everything is running inside the case, mouse, drives, disks, even the videocard is powered up seeing its fan spinning.... but still nothing happens to the monitor, when i place back my HD4830 everything is FINE....

what did i do wrong? or is the card simply just defect or something? help

2. damage^

damage^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    i am using a DVI to VGA adapter... could that be the case? :(

3. sabind12

sabind12 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD6950 2GB @900
    reset bios and try again, oh and check if the pwer is plugged in the gpu

4. damage^

damage^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    ofcourse the power is plugged in the gpu? its sitting in the pci-e slot and plugged in with 2 x PCI-E rails from the powersupply.... it works on boot, only the display wont response... no signal... :O

is my powersupply maybe not enough? its 500W and has total of 40A on the 12V rails...... which met the requirements of HD5870... but still wont work... :(

5. sabind12

sabind12 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD6950 2GB @900
    At boot the card shouldn't draw more power that the 4830 did, actually less. As for the power supply never heard of the brand so i can't say how good it is.

But as i said try resetting the bios with the new card in, i experienceda few times a black screen at boot when changhinmg hardware only to be fixedby removing the bios battery.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Are you using the DVI to VGA adapter with the old card(4830)???Or just with the new card?

7. damage^

damage^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    i used the VGA to DVI for any videocard... never had problem.. only this HD5870....

its so frustrating... i cant find any other solution besides the videocard being screwed or something.... :bang:

8. damage^

damage^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    just did that... reset the bios, removed the battery, reset the ram... nothing... system powers up but no Display on the monitor.... fak this going back to my HD4830 and will send the HD5870 back :bang:

thx anyways dudes!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  9. amieneel

amieneel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    i had faced same problem when i bought my 5770. It's not the card problem. I had done two things. 1. Bios update and 2. Changed my psu(i had tagan 600wt psu before). But in this case may be u don't need to change ur psu but bios updade is required.