Help Please - I need to repair my 'Program File (x86) folder

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by XenonS, Jan 18, 2020.

1. XenonS

XenonS Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    My OS: Windows 7 Home SP1, no install DVD, only recovery possibility on laptop HD.

So it happened - the disaster.
    Because my LAN connection didn't work, I have started to change folder permissions of the whole 'Program Files (x86)' folder by going into Program Files (x86) > Properties > Security to set ownership to my only Admin Account, adding 'Administrators - COMPUTER NAME' into the permissions section, both with full access rights.
    The result of all this: I cannot access anymore some programs and their files ("You do not have access rights...", some programs installed don't work anymore, I cannot re-install or repair them using the Program Deinstallation section in Windows.

I don't even recall all exact steps I have done, I know now that this was a very bad idea and I must revert everything for my computer to work right again. I was able to reset the 'Freigabe' tab settings in the folder properties in order to be like before, thus denying any external access, but I cannot revert the 'Security' tab settings to their defaults.

After googling long and large, I have used the tool here to solve to no avail:
    https://shurikenskribbles.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/restore-file-permissions-default/

This tool doesn't work, I get a lot of "Not a valid Handle" messages ("Das Handle ist ung├╝ltig"), as well as some messages with "Access Denied", and all was not changed.

A bad coincidence is: My restore points of Windows all seem to end-up with an error message (0x8000ffff), also in Protected Mode, so I will continue to try other restore points (very time-consuming), but I plan not to receive any help from that.

Questions:
    Can I just repair the folder 'Program Files (x86)' ? How?
    What options do I have to restore Windows without deleting all my software and personal folders / files ?

I thank you very much for any ideas and HowTos !

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. XenonS

XenonS Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    I now try the tool above to set ownership to all the folder and subfolders, this works and maybe will resolve my access problems. I will report here.

3. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Launch the command prompt as an Administrator and navigate through the tree of folders you need to fix.

Then launch the command ICACLS * /T /Q /C /RESET.

ICACLS will reset the permissions of all the folders, files and subfolders. After a while, depending on the number of file, the permissions will be fixed.

Sometimes, you may need to take the ownership of a tree of folders. You can use the command takeown /R /F * before launching the ICACLS.
    ------------------------------------------
    The best option is to :

use windows installation media and choose the "REPAIR" option.
    ------------------------------------------

4. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium

5. XenonS

XenonS Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Hi Caesar,
    thank you for taking your time, I highly appreciate !

With my tool mentioned above, the input command - that didn't work - is a little different, it is:

icads "C:\Program Files (y86)\*" /T /L /Q /C /RESET
    attrib /s -h -s "C:\Program Files (x86)\*"

it uses ICADS instead of your ICACLS, but I will try your solution and report back. Thank you!

In my folder, I cannot open some program folders therein by double-clicking, I'm told "Access rights denied" although I have only 1 account as administrator in my OS, no second admin account or whatever.
    Unfortunately my folder has a lot of subfolders because a lot of programs installed in it.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

You do not run this on Windows 7, 8 or 10, it will damage the ACL's further.

7. XenonS

XenonS Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    1 of my Windows restore points was able to revert my mess above, although if I start some programs installed in the program folder, then an installer window will pop-up saying "Please wait while Windows configures your program...". This at any program start. I will have to reinstall / repair these programs, but this is a very small incovenience compared to not having solved my main problem :)
    If I don't post other occurences, then I can consider the problem as solved.

Thank you all very much!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  8. XenonS

XenonS Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Even after my successful restore point, your method here was necessary to be able to delete a remaining program folder in 'Program Files x86' and reinstall that program to run correctly. Your method worked very fine and will for sure make it into my notes.
    Thank you again for spending your time!
    Best greetings,

XenonS