Help picking a mobo

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by dragonparadox, Jan 15, 2008.

1. dragonparadox

dragonparadox New Member

I'm getting a Q6600 2.4 to OC

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 is 200$

or

ASUS P5K-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel is 140$ but I'll have to buy ddr2 1066 memory

or is there a Gigabyte that might work for me better in that price range. I'm ordering from newegg.com so needs to be one they carry.

took me forever to figure out the chipsets but I want to go with P35, sense i'm more high processing then games. I never have a intention of putting a second vid card in. still havn't decided if i'm going to get a 8600 or 8800

Last PC i built myself was a 386, so while i can figure stuff out, ease of use wouldn't be bad. I've been looking at mobo's for days and want to get this ordered today if possible. stability is the #1 .. as is expandability with ports and stuff.

while i'm here.. is the PS (or is it PSU?) that i picked OK? i know it's on the expensive side but i like the pretty colors:

[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814015" ]ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ700 ATX12V / EPS12V 700W Patent Piperock Modular[/URL] (has a combo deal that includes a free flash drive that i need as well which kind of evens out the high price)

2. dragonparadox

dragonparadox New Member

or maybe
    MSI P35 Platinum LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard? it's 125$ after rebate

I don't want to skimp on my mobo, but i'm never going to upgrade the CPU (more like buy a whole new system), so what it gets is all it will ever need to support. far as the CPU goes. still i want a mobo that can handle as much OC'ing as possible with this processor.

3. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    You're right you don't want to skimp on a motherboard. I suggest you get a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R You can see a review that Chispy made about how well it OC's here.

4. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Agreed with this man. :banana:

5. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Yep the GA-P35-DS3R is a good mobo. If you want to go cheaper with almost the same quality the GA-P35-DS3L is a good alternative.

6. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
    i must agree with surrealx and trom the ga p35 ds3r or l or p are all solid boards and cheap:)

7. dragonparadox

dragonparadox New Member

what if i wanted to go a little more expensive? main cons I had with the DSR3 is it doesn't have firewire and wifi would be a nice bonus as well. (not that i can't buy a card) currently using a USB, but i need to build a Cantena (wifi booster) till i get real internet. (is one of the reasons this has been so hard. I loose internet like twice a minute lol)

on the other hand, those arn't major cons, and if that mobo is just more tried and true for OC'ing then that is the way i will go

8. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
  9. dragonparadox

dragonparadox New Member

so the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX is still the same basic board platform as before but with more features? (as good as the DS3R?)

a better ASUS board i found then i mentioned is:

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel

10. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    You can try the Asus board but I've had Asus problems before. I think I just have bad lucky with Asus boards.

11. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    Your not alone.....One died & the other gave me such fits I gave it away:bang:

12. dragonparadox

dragonparadox New Member

think i'm going to go with the gigabyte. i've heard crap about the reliablity of reviews on newegg but the gigabyte still scores a little higher.

do you think I'm ok with the: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0
    or would you stick with the DS3R?

i think the money i would save from not having to buy a WIFI card would negate the extra 30 bucks for the DS4. but i'm not sure.. it doesn't seem to have it as a rear port. what's the difference between onboard and rear port? does that mean the antenna is built in and i can't add one? to build a Cantena i need a wifi plug. so maybe i still need to buy a card?

13. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
  14. dragonparadox

dragonparadox New Member

I getting the:
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX

but, any idea why newegg says it's memory support is 1066, but gigabytes memory support page for GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 says it's 1066/800/667

on other brands like ASUS, newegg says all it supports.

am I ok getting 800? newegg has my nervous

15. Grymn

Grymn Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 512 750/2100 SLI
    Yes, it should have a memory divider or unlocked memory options. Hence 667/800/1066. I don't think you'll get a board that will only work with 1066. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008