Help Overclocking Ryzen 1600AF

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Aforizm91, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Aforizm91

Aforizm91 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 760
    Hello Everyone, i need help from the experts with my chip, because i feel i'm doing something wrong.

First and foremost, i always used Intel and my last CPU was a i7 870 which i used for quite sometime on 3.9Ghz using a NZXT Havik 140, so this is my first time owning a AMD platform.

Currently, i'm using a ASUS B550-A Motherboard, 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 XPG memory sticks, EVGA CLC 280 Water Cooler and a XPG 750W Core Reactor PSU.

I tried through Ryzen Master, BIOS (following some tutorials on Youtube) and increased my cpu multiplier to 40, and tried to set a stable Voltage to my CPU, which i failed miserably to obtain a stable 4GHz even with 1.4V, meanwhile i can get a pretty stable 3.9Ghz on 1.33V. Isn't that jump on Voltage a bit too much?

I've seen lots of people achieving a stable overclock of 4GHz or more on a Ryzen 1600AF with, let's say, 1,375V or less, but mine can't get stable over 4Ghz, am i missing something? Do i have to mess around some other VRM configs? Change Load line calibration or something?
    Or perhaps i just got a very unlucky and got a chip that doesn't really like OC too much?

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That voltage does seem kinda high for 3.9ghz, but of course every chip is different. Mine is stable at 4.0ghz with 1.265V, but if I raise the mulitplier any higher it will crash when running benchmarks even if I raise the voltage to 1.4V. I personally haven't tried messing with Ram timings or anything more detailed other than what you've done in the bios, and you really shouldn't have to with this chip. That could just be it's limit.

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX6600XT
    you wont see any difference between 3.8 and 4.0. exept heat :)

Aforizm91 and Passus like this.
  4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    As mannerheim said, you wont see a difference except lots more heat

imo ryzen chips dont like to be overclocked

Aforizm91 likes this.

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Have had mixed experience with Ryzens my 3950 clocked really well and could hold all cores at 4.4 all day with proper cooling, the 3900 am using will do 4.3 on all cores, my earlier 1600 chip would max out at 3.7 and a 2700 hit 3.9 and a brick wall, although am not into overclocking as such and returned them all to standard boost configurations after satisfying my curiosity, I think AMD do a much better job of chip selection so you do get the chiplets that will do what they say and not much more but they also have a much better chip boosting setup built into the Bios and it pushes the chips to pretty much the max they can get in most cases.

6. Aforizm91

Aforizm91 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 760
    Well, i guess that's it then. I did some fine tune and got it to 3.95Ghz on 1.28V. Really weird chip.
    Can't say it's bad though, gonna hold it while the R5 5600 doesn't see the light of the day. Thanks y'all, folks!

Passus likes this.