1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on Updating BIOS...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Wry, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Wry

Wry Member

GPU:
    Saphire 1900xt 256
    My motherboard model is p4m890T-M2, I want to update the bios but the problem is I've never done it before. I'm guessing that If I screw it up im done with that mobo for good?

How exactly can I update it(Is it even possible with no floppy drive?) and is it difficult? Thanks in advanced

2. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    It should be possible without a floppy drive. Some can be flashed from Windows. What make it your motherboard, i'm guessing here but is it an ESC board?

If so then you should be able to flash the BIOS from Windows using AFUWIN Flash Utility, there is also a DOS version but you'll need to make a bootable CD for that and i am unsure how you would go about it.

You can find a new BIOS on the ECS website. Of course if it isn't an ECS motherboard then you will have to go to the motherboard manufacturers website. You may still be able to use the AFUWIN Utility as long as it's an AMI BIOS which it probably will be with that chipset.

3. Wry

Wry Member

GPU:
    Saphire 1900xt 256
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  4. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't know about other flash utilities, i had a look on AMI's website to see if there was a flash utility for Vista, but it seems there is only one there. Never the less have a look your self and see if you can find it, i find AMI's website difficult to use. If you can only find one, try that anyway.

Failing that, i imagine there will be other programs you could use providing they are compatible. If the flash goes bad then it doesn't mean the end of your motherboard but it could mean a trip to a PC shop to get it fixed or the BIOS chip replaced because they are usually socketed. This of course will cost you something, but i don't have any idea how much.

If you can't find a flash utility for Vista then you should still be able to use the DOS version, just follow the instructions on the ECS website. That said, it might be worth waiting to see if anyone here with Vista 64 bit can help you in this area. And to be honest, i really don't know for sure that you will still be able to use DOS with Vista, but i imagine it won't matter.

5. Wry

Wry Member

GPU:
    Saphire 1900xt 256
    Im getting an error "Unable to load Driver"

according to the site(http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm) I need "UCOREW64.SYS Driver" for windows vista 64. Where exactly do I get that Driver?

6. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I have no idea to be honest, it's a pure guess but it might be in your Vista install disc. Other than that i don't know, you will have to wait for someone with experience with Vista 64 or use the DOS version.

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    UCOREW64.SYS should be in the AFUWIN zip file. Or you can find it in this file.