1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help new build but shutdown after startup

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pilouk, Jun 3, 2011.

1. pilouk

pilouk Member

GPU:
    GTX 590
    I just bought new rig

Sabertooth x58 , i7 950 cpu
    ddr3 corsair
    Antec750w

When i tried to start it up it just shutdown immediatly, i can for a second the cpu fan running , the powerled light is always on. I don't hear any BEEP and i try to change the PSU but it's doesnt make any change..

What can cause this problem ??? im wondering if i broke something... :bang:

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    Make sure you have the motherboard stand offs in the right locations.The fan for the cpu is plugged in to the right header on the motherboard.All connections are secure.If all that is correct check to see the power button on the case is not sticking.If all else fails pull it from the case and try to start it up on a non conductive surface outside the case with only 1 stick of ram and video card installed and see if it keeps running.

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Best advice, start over.

Redo all the connections from scratch and double check each one. If there is still a problem then we can rule that out.

4. pilouk

pilouk Member

GPU:
    GTX 590
    Ok i'll try that after work... here a little question , Do i actually need to put some RAM to get to the BIOS ??

5. Larry!

Larry! Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 295
    Yes! Did you? Also You can't rule out that your board came to you doa. Has happened to me numerous times over the years. try what the other posters have said but if you don't find a solution then you may have just gotten a bad board...

6. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I think you just found your problem--you must have RAM in the mobo to boot it to the BIOS.

Be sure to set the correct memory voltage as well. 1.65v is the maximum that Intel recommends I believe.

7. pilouk

pilouk Member

GPU:
    GTX 590
    I did try to put RAM before remove them... doesn't work either..

How do you set the voltage if i can even access the bios??

8. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    All power is connected? The CPU 8 pin?

9. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    As far as I know, there is no way to set the memory voltage outside of the BIOS. There might be some way to do it with some sort of program in windows but the point is that you cannot do it on a system that does not boot.

At this point I am assuming you

1. have all power pins plugged in and secure
    2. have all hardware fastened and secure (including the motherboard properly mounted to the bosses and insulated from the chassis)
    3. have RAM properly seated in the DIMM slots (remember you need to use DDR3)
    4. have a GPU in the AGP or PCI-E

If everything is plugged in properly and you tried using 2 different power supplies, I might guess you have an issue with the motherboard. If you had a bad GPU or RAM the system would still POST. If your motherboard has an LED debug screen it would tell you what is wrong (maybe). I think that even with a bad CPU, the computer would still POST.

Is it possible you have 2 bad power supplies? Do you have another system you can test the power supplies on? Is this a brand new PC build, or are you using parts from your previous system? Can you test any of those parts in this new system?

Your motherboard probably has an LED that will stay on as long as the power supply has power from the wall socket. Are you talking about the system activity light on your case?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  10. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
    Worst comes to worst run the board outside of the case, remove it and place it on the anti-static bag it came in, hook up the CPU, RAM, Video card, and PSU, to start it just bridge the 2 pins that power button would plug into with a screw driver.

11. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    As rflair said barebone it, outside the case if necessary, just PSU, CPU, RAM, and the mobo battery (did you check that?). No front panel, usb, audio, hard drives, or even the video card, because you just want to see if it will start with the bare minimum. You'll have to jump the power on pins.

12. pilouk

pilouk Member

GPU:
    GTX 590
    wow guys you won't believe .... i just forget to put the gold pin before screw the mobo on the case.. wow what a shame.. :bang:

Everything works fine now beside by CPU is kind of high..

At idle i have 42 degree and at gaming i goes up to 64 degree...

Should i be nervous?? maybe i can buy a new cpu cooler for my cpu??
    Or maybe change some setting .. i didn't even overclock it ...

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nah, that temperature is fine.

We all make mistakes like that, glad to hear that it's working now.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    i7 950 with 8gb of RAM, how does that work?

If its 2x4GB modules, should definitely consider another module to make use of triple channel. Do these CPU's work in dual channel mode or single channel mode with only 2 out of the 3 sticks installed? either way, no point having a i7-9xx and not making use of triple channel :)