Help new 7970 crashing!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Cheeze, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Cheeze

Cheeze Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 3GB
    So I bought a sapphire 7970 during cyber monday and was pretty excited to use it. I just put it together last night, format my comp and everything, and everything runs smoothly...that is until i started playing games. Everytime i run a game it would crash and restart my comp. no blue screen or anything, just restarts every time i play a game, it's like it doesn't have power and just shuts down. any help would be much appreciated thank you!

I7 860 on a ECS P55H-A
    16GB Mem
    Thermaltake 850W
    Sapphire 7970

edit: could it be that my motherboard is too old and not compatible?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    RMA it. Sapphire 7970s have a failure rate of over 6%. You either got a card from older batch or they haven't been fixed yet at all.

3. Genesis

Genesis Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    If you have a Sapphire send it back and the RMA card too without testing it, then just take your money back or exchange for an nVidia model.

4. Cheeze

Cheeze Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 3GB
    so my sapphire decided to work now when i was thinking about returning it, coincident? :banana:

5. Robula

Robula New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7970
    I've had this issue since I first bought my Sapphire HD 7970. It's happened on most (not all) games where the PC would randomly hard lock after 20 minutes to a few hours of game play.

I've tried numerous sets of drivers and settings to no avail. However, I've just noticed the new Beta 11 drivers released very recently quote this:
    Since I'm on an X58 chipset, I really hope this driver will fix this issues I experience daily.

Try them out yourself: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_12_11_beta_download.html

I will post any further findings should the issue remain.

Regards,
    Rob

6. Cheeze

Cheeze Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 3GB
    hmm it's actually the driver that I used and haven't notice any crash.:banana::banana:

edit: thx for the help!!

7. Robula

Robula New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7970
    Well I've been using it since my last post 5 days ago and I haven't experienced a single hard lock. There I was thinking I had a faulty card when all it was was a incompatible driver with the 7970 and X58 chipsets. :)