[Help] Need Recommendation AMD Processor

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Jhannes3D, May 16, 2020.

1. Jhannes3D

Jhannes3D Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 960
    my pc specs:
    Videocard: GeForce GTX 960
    Processor: Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2Ghz
    Mainboard: Gigabyte socket AM3
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 16Gb
    PSU: Corsair CX 500W

I play an Android game on the NOX emulator, as we already know it requires a fast processor to run smoothly.
    Which AMD processor should I buy? I want to keep using GTX960.
    Mainboard and memory will adjust with new processor.

Thank you

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    I guess 3300x is the bang for buck cpu now? It does quite well in gaming for a 4 core chip, beating some of the 6 core Zen+ ones, even in productivity.
    I think the next step up in performance would be 3600 and that costs quite a bit more.

machete and anticupidon like this.
  4. Jhannes3D

Jhannes3D Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 960
    can you give two choices of medium to high prices?

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ryzen 3 3300X would be the best option followed by Ryzen 5 3600....

anticupidon likes this.
  6. potatochobit

potatochobit Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    it is time to donate your computer to someone else, bro
    Ryzen processor with integrated graphics (no graphic card)
    will give you higher benchmarks than your GTX 960

as long as you buy the proper motherboard for your ryzen processor, you won't even need a graphics card for playing android games
    you can even play most all modern games too

OnnA likes this.
  7. Jhannes3D

Jhannes3D Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 960
    Thank you very good advice

8. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Listing format: processor/chipset you can pair with - not all inclusive listing - can potentially pair any processor with almost any chipset, but read the product description page on the mainboard and processor compatibility listings to be sure. Take listings as suggestions.
    Ryzen 3100x or 3300x / B550 or B450, or Ryzen 3600 / B450, or Ryzen 1600AF / A320. If buying motherboard, do make sure it says ryzen 3000 or ryzen 2000 ready on it, so you will be sure it will boot with the CPU, otherwise it needs BIOS flashback feature and a newer BIOS flashed to it, to work with the processor.
    Get some decent Micron or Samsung RAM, I personally avoid Hynix except at default 2133mhz or 2400mhz speeds as it's been hit or miss with compatibility at times, though newer BIOS is better. Try to aim for 3000mhz or above, CL-15 3000mhz is a good starting place. Crucial Ballistix is generally pretty cheap and compatible, and available almost everywhere. Ryzen is ram-speed sensitive.
    A Ryzen 3200G is a decent CPU, and comes with integrated graphics that are okay enough to run games provided your expectations are reasonable. The 3400G is even better, in both graphics and processing power, but I would only pick that if you're serious about skipping out on a graphics card upgrade. That said, a 5500XT or 1650 Super will absolutely steam-roll that 960.
    Availability of the 3100x / 3300x should be no later than the 21st or around there, unless it's already in stores. You can call or email your preferred store to see if it's in stock, if the store's website does not already tell you (I haven't checked lately). B550 is available in JUNE from the best of my knowledge. Getting X570 chipset while on a tight budget would be considered a waste. The 3300x would be the best performing emulation chip out of the budget crowd, as it's 7nm and has a better design. The 3100x is also 7nm but has slightly higher memory latency due to how it's made internally (2 pairs of 2 processor cores vs 1 set of 4 cores in the 3300X). The 3600 and above are all 7nm and perform quite well but start at 160$ USD and as-such may be out of budget. The 3200G/3400G and the rest of the 2xxx are all 12nm chips. The 2200G/2400G and all of the 1xxx chips are all 14nm models (excluding AF models).
    *ANY* Ryzen branded processor is a BIG upgrade from a Phenom II or even Bulldozer-era FX processors that came afterwords, so just go for the best deal. The nice thing is, if you need a little more processing power, you can always drop in a processor with higher clockspeeds or more cores (or both) later on, on the AM4 socket*.
    *Ryzen 4000 series may not work on chipsets lower/older than A520, B550, and X570. A520 and B550 are not yet released.

If you think you'll buy a new graphics card in the next year or so, consider getting a Ryzen 2600 processor, as it's 6-core 12-thread nature will lend itself well to many years of gaming, especially if on a budget. You will get 85% the performance of the Ryzen 3600 at a much cheaper price, and even more performance than the 3200G or 3400G. Like-wise if you don't do much heavy gaming and you are okay with keeping the 960 for some time yet.
    The 1600 *AF* (not AE) is a slightly down-clocked version of the 2600 and unlike the 1600AE is also 12nm (the 1xxx series and the 2200G/2400G are normally 14nm unless it's an AF model), it's cheaper, but not very easy to find one. Don't pay extra for it, for sure.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  9. Jhannes3D

Jhannes3D Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 960
    Thank you for very clear advice, finally I decided to replace the pc as well, but not at this time, because it is more worthed and wise.

bobblunderton likes this.