Help, My 8800gtx is a major dissapoinment!!! Need advice!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YurAnus, Feb 13, 2007.

1. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    i just tryed to install xp and I got a bsod durring the installation proccess. I am starting to think it is the card.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Can you try and install the card in a different computer to make sure the card is the problem. If the card does not work RMA the card.

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Centurie: i'm thinking it's MORE along the lines of the fact that since the pre-8-series cards don't support DirectX 10..... that's two drivers they don't need to create (DX10 single card, DX10 SLI). Plus seeing as apparently the older drivers seem to work slightly in vista (meaning the XP drivers CAN work in Vista.... but not fully), they don't really seem to have to change that much.

4. USFORCES

USFORCES Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780 SLI @ 2560x1600
    Dude don't flame eVGA and Nvidia exspecialy when you don't even know what your talking about..

If he RMA's his card and it's fine they will send it back, I've had DOA cards from BFG, XFX it happens, Most likely it's Vista.
    As for being worthless compared to what? the 8800GTX rocks and will probably rock the r600 too.

I don't know if this is true but I read the G80 chip has hidden resources that haven't been unlocked yet and With the BIOS flashed it can be unlocked.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007

5. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ^^^ what he said. if it IS a card issue... or if you believe it is a card issue.... RMA it. the only kinda tech support i've dealt with regarding eVGA is going through their step-up program.... and they were REALLY helpful (actually let me continue with my step-up even though i had missed the time limit to make the payment towards the new card, and at that time my 90-days had run out), and pretty damn quick too. think i shipped the card out to them third day on a monday, paid to have the new one shipped to me third day, and had it back by i believe the middle or end of the following week.... maybe sooner. that's even after they had to "take the time" to test the card to make sure it was still functional, and not that i tried using a busted card for a step-up.

as USForces said.... the 8800GTX rocks..... sh*t happens. and above all, Vista isn't the greatest thing to test a new video card out on....... least not yet.

6. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    WOW!!! I fixed it some how??? I have now loaded XP and Vista dual boot with no problems. I am unsure what changed. Simce the last time I tried anything I just cleared my cmos and put the card in and installed the OS. I guess there was something wrong with my settings in my bios. Well So far so good. I havn't had a chance to play any games. I have to leave to go to the daytona 500 but when I get back It is ON. I appriciate all of the suggestions.

7. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    for usforces :) this is for you i just sold my 8800 gtx and it was evga And it was worthless unless i was runing 3dmark06 which it worked very well in and also i rma'ed 5 7900 gtxs when they were screwed after that i didnt want to buy another nivda but i buy w/e is the best so i bought one low and behold omg drivers + Cs:s Didnt Work Grayed out people is real fun to play yea the iq was real nice till you moved about 40-50 ft inside the game and bam GRAY Boxs/people and sry for my bad grammar :)

8. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900

Nice one, try and work out what you might of done to cure the problem it could help a few people :)

9. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    In the interest of accuracy . . . :john:

To put it mildly, baloney. I haven't had a single BSOD or crash. Others report the same in other threads. I'm running the latest nVidia Vista drivers and playing CODUO, COD2, RB6LV, Oblivion and more without issue. Had to disable a processor core for CODUO (using nHancer), turn off AA for COD2. Yes, plenty of people are having problems, but this "everyone" with an 8800 card stuff is inaccurate. For those that find Vista too much of a pain right now, yep, reformat and reinstall XP, or dual boot. Short of some HP printer whistles and bells, my system is fine and I've ditched XP completely.

10. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    1. RMA your card to NewEgg....
    2. Check it out to see any solder on chips....
    i've had a 7900GTX which gave major headache and some glitches under heavy load and BSOD....i took it out and checked everything and my sharp eyes catched a lil pieces of solder which is very very small.
    i blew it off and brushed it with toothbrush....
    since than i have had no issues.
    and btw. i had EVGA 8800GTX running on Vista 64bit with drivers from NVIDIA.com and i have had no issues at all......my system needs faster RAM to make it run smooth and also it's does index everything what makes my hard drives work all the time what i don't really like....so i had to roll back to XP Pro....

11. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    ooops....you got it solved.....i may think you shaked your video card hard enough when you was removing it few times....and now it's got fixed ;)

12. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    I am in florida right now. I am going to test it a lot more whhen I get back home on mon. if see anything out of the ordinary I most def think about rma just to be safe. but I have hunch that it was just a setting in my bios that was conflicting. well I am typing this message on a cell phone so' later

13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    so..... care to mention which setting? i haven't been able to run Vista very well on my 8800 since a) i got the 8800, and b) since i got vista for free. lol.

REALLY wanna try the Cascades demo. had it sitting on my hard drive now for a day!

14. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    I just cleared my cmos with the jumper on my Mobo. then I only changed the settings that had to be changed for my computer to work.

15. dragomirc

dragomirc Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 965/1930/4400
    8800 gtx have currently best IQ and it is fastest card on the market.
    I think you have a problem with driver installation and other game - application settings.

So you RMA'ed FIVE 7900GTX cards!!!
    I think that installing a new video card is too big challenge for you.

And your suggestion to OP that need to smash card before return to Evga is more than imature it is stuppid. Do not give that kind of advices.

16. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Hi. I second that. Been running Vista for 2 weeks now and just installed my new BFG 8800GTX OC last night. Drivers installed fine (100.64) and have played RS Vegas, Medieval 2 and Company of Heroes and all 3 games run so smooth compared to my previous set up (2x7800GTX in SLi). This is one great card and I too can't understand these ppl who keep complaining about all these problems. So glad I got this card and I'm really liking Vista. Just waiting for Creative to pull their fingers out and get a proper driver so I can enable EAX on my X-Fi in games and get them set up properly with the THX console but they say they'll come by the end of March.

17. SHAD0W

SHAD0W Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Maxwell)
    You can use EAX in vista with this Alchemy driver beta from creative
    http://preview.creativelabs.com/alchemy/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

download + install when you launch a game it will store it in the left hand side of the box just move it over to the right hand side and next time you start cod2 for example you will be able to select EAX sound option