Help: Motherboard USB 2.0 Only Working as USB 1.1

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zephren, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Zephren

Zephren Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 7600 GT
    I have an ASUS M2N-E motherboard, which is about two years old now. Over the course of its life, the USB ports have one by one stopped supporting USB 2.0 and will only recognize devices as USB 1.1, usually after the power would flicker, causing the PC to shut off (I think this was the cause of a few). Recently The last port, of four, randomly stopped supporting USB 2.0.

I have reinstalled Windows to see if that was the issue, which made no difference. Also looking through the BIOS I could see no options that would be related to the issue.

Might anyone have any ideas as to how I can troubleshoot this issue, or fix it. Or should I just buy a PIC USB card?

Thanks

2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    When you reinstalled Windows did you also reinstall the drivers for the motherboard itself?

3. Zephren

Zephren Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 7600 GT
    My Windows install comes with SP2 which provides USB 2.0 support for my motherboard. I didn't install the other motherboard drivers, since I've never had to in the past.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Windows also comes with driver support for your graphics card but at the end of the day you wouldn't want to play games using it. Same goes for any other device connected to your PC.

5. Zephren

Zephren Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 7600 GT
    It can't be the drivers, since they have worked fine in the past (I reinstall windows regularly). The purpose of the reinstall was to see if there was some other program, or even bad drivers, affecting USB 2.0.

6. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    It could be the mobo i guess going out.
    If you can't buy a new motherboard now, try getting a PCI USB2.0 board. Those are really cheap.

7. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    I had the same problem, my USB ports are 2.0 but they were reading 1.1 even after installing drivers plus SP2.
    So all i did was went in to my devices and updated my USB to 2.0 using the motherboard disk, this was the only way i could do it.