Help me upgrade my PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MainframeTM, Jan 29, 2016.

1. MainframeTM

MainframeTM Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB
    Greetings everyone..it's been awhile.

Ok heres my system currently...

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge @ 3.40ghz OCed to 4.3ghz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB GDDR5
    G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
    ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 Motherboard
    Rosewill BRONZE Series 1000-Watt Active PFC Power Supply
    Windows 10

Ok areas that I've wanted to improve but hadn't thus far. I've wanted either a 2k or 4k monitor considering the videocard was bought with this in mind. But I ended up not picking one up and have been gaming @ 1980x1080. I recently picked up a 4K tv & connected my pc to it but wasn't impressed with it. Granted I was playing F04 with mods that upped the graphics and with the issues the game has with shadows & godrays that very well may explain the slowdowns @ the time. It wasn't until after i returned it that I adjusted settings and found out about these issues.

That said I want to upgrade thou I'm not sure what to upgrade. I've thought about adding another GTX Titan to SLI or just pick up a good monitor. Currently i'm running a 35ish inch hdtv as my main @ 2 20ish side monitors. All in all not bad but I'm really wanting to break above the 1980x1080 barrier. My question (& I hate to admit) I've not been into tech as I was a couple of years or so ago so any thoughts on routes I should take? Sometimes it feels I've upgraded myself into a corner.

Thanks for reading,
    Main

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    Wait for the new chipsets and cpu's coming this spring/summer, then buy new mb, cpu and memory. (14nm, ddr4)
    Then wait for ti version of the new gpu series around november.
    (If you need a new gpu)

Buy a good ssd now to get some upgrade while you wait. 950 pro is great.
    (but do know that you can not boot from a m.2 with your chipset, but will be great for games. Put it on a cheap riser card and change it to boot drive when you get a new mb).

Tv's are not great for gaming, pick up a either Acer XB270hu or Asus PG278q.
    http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-mo...r-xb270hu-vs-asus-rog-swift-pg278q-a2131.html
    Stay away from 4k unless you got eyes like a hawk, the scaling is awful. 2560x1440 is the sweet spot right now. Or just a cheaper none g-sync if you are content with 60fps.

And if you want your pc to be fancy, lots of new cabinets is comming out this spring. I got my eyes on the new corsair spec alpha or in-win 805, looks so sweet.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2272-best-pc-cases-of-2016-for-gaming-round-up

But it all comes down to how much you want to spend on your hobby, and if you regard your pc thous.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Agreed, it would be a more beneficial upgrade to wait at the moment. Now true, often waiting just means that there is always something better around the corner, but there are times like now when there are significant changes at foot that invalidates that argument.

It's been quite a while since there has been such a significant change like there is happening right now. The new GPU's coming out this year are a significant leap over the current generation, and likewise both Intel and AMD are bringing out new CPU's. The next CPU from Intel (and probably the one after that) doesn't look to be a significant leap, the leap comes from AMD with their Zen architecture. Regardless of whether you are an AMD lover or hater, it needs to succeed to give Intel competition so they spend effort improving their CPU's instead of focusing on their integrated GPU's.

Put what money you can 'afford' on it now into a high interest account, one that earns you money but can access any time (if available). Due to low interest rates this will probably just cover inflation at the moment, but that's better than nothing. The main thing is that it is an account that you should not use for anything else, and that you can add to each week/fortnight. The advantage of this is by the time you do upgrade later in the year, you will find you will have more money to spend on the computer than you realise! You then sell off your existing hardware, put the proceeds back into the account, and again let it slowly accumulate for future upgrades. When the next upgrade comes around, you will always have the funds there to achieve your desired outcome. Again, replace a part, sell old part (if it is working), back into the account :).

4. MainframeTM

MainframeTM Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB
    Ok so keep core components as they are. What about just an upgrade for a monitor right now? Any thoughts on this?

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    I hope they can make it happen. I'm ready to back to AMD. I would prefer not to pay extra for something I won't use(integrated graphics).
    My last AMD cpu was on the nForce2 chipset so it's been a while.