Help me test Catalyst in Windows 8 (how-to)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Tyrael-D3, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Tyrael-D3

Tyrael-D3 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 XT
    Anyone else have issues installing the 12.1 preview drivers in windows 8?
    I have no advanced menu's on the left of the CCC, only hydra-vision, and monitor controls.

btw: you need to edit the vga driver .msi's via Orca for the Catalyst install manager to include them when installing.
    If anyone feels like testing them out too...
    Download Orca here

extract the amd catalyst package, but hit cancel after they extract instead of continuing to install them.
    Open orca and in orca menu click "file" > "Open"
    then navigate to where you extracted the catalyst drivers ie:
    C:\AMD\AMD_Catalyst_12.1_Preview_Windows_Vista_7
    navigate packages > drivers > display
    depending what version Win8 your running navigate W7_INF(32 bit Win8) or W76A_INF(64bit Win8) there will be two different MSI's CHxxxxxx.msi and C7xxxxxx.msi you want to edit the C7 one, other one is for vista.

so now you have opened C7xxxxxx.msi in Orca, navigate down via left menu and click ATI_OS_Include, right click in the open space to the right, below the two entries, click ADD Row, dialog pops up.
    In Dialog "Add Row" window highlight Index then click in the text entry box below where it says "Index - Short, required" and type in a 3, go up, hit OS, go down type in WIN_WIN8 for 32 bit OS or WIN_WIN8_64 for 64 bit OS, go up hit version, down type 6.2, hit is64bit and type yes only if your on 64bit OS, if 32 bit just leave blank.
    Thats it, just click OK, then go to Orca menu "File" > "Save".

Your ready to run the catalyst install manager which would be whereever you extracted it default would be here...
    C:\AMD\AMD_Catalyst_12.1_Preview_Windows_Vista_7
    Just uninstall whatever version is running via control panel or device manager, either way works, manually install "Microsoft compatible video device" or w/e...restart... hopefully the wddm driver doesnt auto install:biggun:
    cant do the whole standard vga graphics adapter driver thing anymore.. only safemode uses that...

NOTE: This can bork your windows 8 install.... the marthand 8.93 drivers borked my install(BSOD's on boot, ), these 12.1's CCC dont work, but i am successfully using 11.11c previews...and they work good.
    Windows 8 has a bad habit of getting rid of user created restore points, has a bad habit of not liking to run safe mode (Shift F8), and is just a general PITA to work around a bad driver instal.

2. Tyrael-D3

Tyrael-D3 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 XT
    no one? really /abort non helpfull, helpfull thread

3. Cygnific

Cygnific Member

GPU:
    2060S Gaming OC
    There are OS checks in other msi files to. Maybe thats the problem.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I have yet to actually try 12.1 or any desktop catalyst, but I have had absolutely no problem or hoop-jumping to install mobility drivers to my laptop with WDP installed. Just a simple compatibility to Win7 flag on mobility downloader, and that's it. Same goes for chipset and AHCI drivers too (as in, no problems).

I don't see how desktop GPU drivers can be that different to require all of.. that :/ (but like I said, I never tried it)

5. Eambo

Eambo Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI Radeon 5870
    I'd just like to pipe up with a "me too" in here. Windows 8 Developer Preview x64, installed the 12.1 preview and now I have:

- Pinned
    - Presets
    - HydraVision

Those are my only options in CCC. Sucks too, I'm playing swtor and it doesn't have Anti-Aliasing, and I can't force it on without the options in CCC :p

6. Tyrael-D3

Tyrael-D3 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 XT
    Should only need to set to allow the install package to accept the driver for install.

some drivers dont need to be modified, for some driver versions setting compatibly flag via right-click properties doesn't works, for 12.1 preview installer seems to hang without doing anything.

Anyways using orca to set the "ATI_OS_Include" is the "proper" way to do it.

Thank you for testing :)
    Gonna chalk it up to the newer install package files being used, (net4) and Windows 8.
    Tried enabling .net 3.5.1 and 4.5 via windows features but still doesn't want to work.