Help me stop all unnessacry services :D

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by heads_up, Jul 3, 2007.

1. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Ok, so I am sick of running 39 processes and I need some of them to go, heres some SS, tell me which general ones I should end, that I will have no use for.

I hope I'm not asking too much, but I just don't know what I do and don't need running.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you very much :D

2. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Start here,

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

and here,

http://www.answersthatwork.com/

and for anything that isn't on those two,

www.google.com

All things considering you need to learn what things are and what they do. For starters you're talking about disabling services which is fine for the one's you don't need and we don't know how you use your computer, so us telling you what to turn off may stop something that you do/use from working.

3. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I agree 100% with Stormy. No-one here is going to just paste their configuration for you, because that would be irreponsible. The Elder Geek's guide is my favorite, as it takes a more discriminative approach than the more liberal BlackViper Service Guide, but in the end, you should read both with care. You'll more than likely be satisfied with the results, and you'll also be a lot more knowledgeable in the area of services.

4. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Ok thanks guys, I did a little test run, ended everything but the things I normally run and know I need (internet services for example) and it worked mint, but something was missing to run CCC, so bugger.

I will read those things, thanks.

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    That was probably MOM.exe... Mate, why do you run CCC anyway? I mean, ATT is so much better in all aspects, including resource usage. It also gives you control over some pretty neat stuff which CCC will never grant access to. I suggest you try it out next time you install a new driver.

6. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB

Feels like DeJa Vu, I had this convo with Aircool like an hour ago :D

I know, but I like official stuff, makes me feel safer, I will try it next driver release tho, remind me :D

That eldergeek thing is exactly what i'm looking for, screw the M$ definitions I needed real world meanings!

7. Æther Tech

Æther Tech Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 9600GT(OC:750/2k/2k
  8. ninebroken

ninebroken Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte 7800GT 256MB
    I used that guide, but only got down to 29 processes :(

9. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    [​IMG]

Didn't really loose processes, but lost 100mb of ram, that good. I will now use the blackviper link to see if I can lower it anymore.

10. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I only have 21 processes running with a mere 166mb of PF usage. :) Then again, I don't have Antivirus software, CCC, X-Fire or much of the other stuff heads_up is running because I don't need them. :)

11. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    It isn't the services that are adding to the total now, it is all the processes with your user name next to them,

4 ATI related
    3 LCDClock (possibly 4 if the LGDCore is part of the same program)
    ctfmon.exe - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599
    wdfmgr.exe - gets installed with WMP10. Can usually be disabled with no problems (disable in Services).
    2 NOD32 - seeing as that is your AV, leave alone.
    devldr32.exe - don't think I have ever seen anyone that had a problem with their sound card after stopping this one
    MDM.exe - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321410

If there are any there you want to stop from running and they aren't listed in Services they can be stopped from starting with Windows through msconfig.

12. Æther Tech

Æther Tech Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 9600GT(OC:750/2k/2k
    [​IMG]

that what you going for?

13. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    What the...? :eek: How can you have only four svchost.exe's running?! Bloody hell... Could you please PM me your service configuration? (Don't worry, I know what I'm doing... ;))

14. Darth_Sidious

Darth_Sidious Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia 8800 GTS
    I find it funny how people showcase their low ram usage and low number of processes running. If you get a computer, why don't you like using it up? I could care less how much ram i am using or how many processes/services i am running. I highly doubt disabling every little unneeded service will give anyone a "dramatic" boost in gaming or general performance.

15. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Getting it down to four is easy. There is one svchost that is a single service, Windows Image Acquisition Service. Not needed if you don't have a scanner or digital camera, and can be set to manual if you do as it will start as needed.

Oh and Æther Tech, hope that that nag-ware known as WGA notifiaction never decides to bother you (WgaTray.exe),

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...s-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/

and you can also probably get rid of alg.exe (Application Layer Gateway),

http://www.theeldergeek.com/application_layer_gateway.htm

unless you're running the Windows firewall.

16. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    You are not seeing the forest from the trees... Having lots of processes running in the background is not a problem in itself, but having them running when they are not needed is a problem. I for example provide up to 550mb of RAM for Firefox's disposal. Why? Because doing so can provide a performance boost, and since I never have Firefox open when I need all possible RAM free, i.e. when I play a game, why shouldn't I dedicate more RAM to it to make it faster? This is what tinkering with services, etc. is all about.

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34

Buying a video card that is 60% better than your old card will give you a dramatic boost in gaming.. thats not what this is all about.

Though the effects of doing this won't be dramatic, it will help your system to run optimally because windows has to talk less with the hard drive and the memory. You can notice a speed increase in general windows functions, like switching from window to window, as well as loading programs. If it made no difference at all, i wouldn't have spent a full day tweaking the hell outta my vista to get it from 900mb PF usage to 500. Anyone who uses Vista or even XP the way it is right outta the box is a sucker for real.. UAC FTW!

18. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    If I wanted to be a d!ck I could boot into safemode and take a ss and beat all of you hehehehe :D

Seriously now, I'm down to 32 (with winamp and ff running) so is there anyway i can save this config so next reformat I don't have to do all this again?

Cheers guys, I really appreciate all your help :D

19. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Ok, I removed CCC and went with ATT (I know...).

I just need to know, is there any known services that steam uses to update? I can't update my games, its done like 3mb in the past 3 days!!!! I was just wondering if I ended something it needed...

20. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Not that I know of, I'am running 30 processes and steam works fine.