1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Pick a Video Card

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Neo Cyrus, Mar 13, 2015.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Can we stop the wisecracks people? Please and thank you. The OP is asking for help, not a critique of his life choices.

Have you considered the Sapphire Vapor-X 280X, Neo? It should cost significantly less (in theory), and while it's not as fast as the 290, it's a lot closer than you'd think with an overclock. It could pass as a stand-in admirably until the 300 series releases.

2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Have a Gigabyte G1 980oc. It runs my 3 1920x1080 monitors fine as well as my 4k tv. Nothing like playing Dying Light maxed out, no AA on a 4K tv though. Tv add 3D to game(2d to 3d) and makes for an awesome experience.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    You were the one guy who I was referring to who said that. No else did after I mentioned the price difference. By the time you had made that post I had already returned with the 290X otherwise I would have looked into it.
    For whatever reason the only Sapphire Vapor-X models I see for sale here are prices typically $100 above what that respective model of card would be from another company. I couldn't even find a reasonably priced Vapor-X anything used. 280X, 290, 290X, none of them.

Well it's too late to turn back now, I just finished installing my Gigabyte 970 G1. I'm not going to worry about a bit of money lost and just enjoy it. It's obviously a solid build unlike the blatantly cheap Powercolor 290X. Now I'm going to see what kind of overclock this thing can get. And for what little it's worth it came with a download code for The Witcher 3.

A side note for anyone else who's in Canada, apparently NCIX do NOT price match for (some?) items already on sale even if their own company Direct Canada has a better price. DC had it for $429 and they wouldn't price match that which is ridiculous since they are one and the same company. I said screw this and stopped by another shop that's on my way home and bought it there instead. They don't match DC either but at least it's not their own company.
    How many FPS do you get in Dying Light at 4K with a single 980?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I have a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980, OC'd I easily get 60+ fps @ 3840x2160, no AA, but you don't need it at that res..

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    For some reason I wasn't expecting any single GPU card to pull 60fps at 2160p in that game. Maybe I got it mixed up with something else.

I just tested a game... Watch Dogs as you may have guessed, for some reason at stock it runs at 1404MHz when its turbo boost is advertised as 1329MHz. 1404MHz is way beyond stock turbo for a 970 which is 1178MHz. Fingers crossed for a 1.6GHz OC.

Edit: Yep, 1.6GHz OC easy peasy. It goes way above the predicted turbo boost. 1.4GHz instead of 1.3GHz, and with the OC 1.6GHz instead of 1.5GHz.

So I basically ended up paying ~$34 more and that got me:
    1 - A backplate
    2 - A higher maximum OC
    3 - The look I prefer
    4 - The Witcher 3

I'd say things turned out as well as they could have.

6. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 watercool
    Get R9 285 2GB $189 and wait for new cards to come after it sell old one for small loss. ;)
    Grats on great 970 G1 btw.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I'm unsure if the clocks I'm testing are stable so I just turned them down and called it a day. 1590MHz core, 7720MHz memory. Not bad.

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nice clocks, they're pretty good. :)