Help me overclock my gfx card

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ScaryClown, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Hello everybody.
    Recently I have bought Asus direct cu R9270X, mid range card and so far it has proven quite a perormance upgrade from my old Radeon 5870 listed in specs. Gotta change that.
    Still I'm looking for a bit more juice from my card.
    Now,it has a factory OC to 1050 core and 1400mhz(5600) memory.

I tried OCing it with both MSI Afterburner and ASUS Tweak and I get 1200mhz for the core without voltage bump.
    Memory is a nother story. I tried OCing it to 1500(6000)MHz like most reviews said it should do and it manages to pass 3d mark fine but in games it just crashes with gray lines on the monitor. I'm guessing its memory overclock causing the error.
    When I keep gpu OCed and don't touch memory games work fine.
    I cant OC memory more than 1430mhz, a mere 30mhz OC....

Why is that?
    Asus is a respected brand and most reviews say it should oc fine with memory on mind

Also I read that Asus uses cheap Elpida memory instead of more expensive Hynix....
    It should be rated at 6000mhz. Mine won't do even that.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanx

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    You may be surprised to find-out that the memory will not play a huge roll in your framereates, In my opinion and personal testing ive done on my Crossfired 6970 cards using a program called Furmark ( stress tests your gpu ) Ive only noticed FPS increase when I bump Gpu core, memory overclocking iam sure does play some type of roll but I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you!....... The 5000 series Gpu you have are basicly the same cards I have 5000 and 6000 series Radeons is just a new number re-brand that's all. I have a pair of MSI refrence design cards and I never experienced the problem you are facing if that helps you any?

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Try using a Different program to overclock your video-card? But before you do that I would read- up on whats the BEST driver version to use for your particular card then go ahead and download it then re-start your tests using Saphire Trixx, Asus gpu tweak, Msi afterburner, HIS I-turbo has a overclocking utility as well that I find to be one of the best in my opinion. Iam almost 100% its a driver related problem.

4. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    The 13.12 whql drivers are proving the most stable.

However, if you're looking for that extra little bit and they're stable on your setup try the latest 14.1 beta (I confirm right here these drivers have given my gpu folding at least a 10% boost without tweaking). I've heard no bad reports from R9 270/270X users other than the odd XFire crash.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014

5. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Thanks for answeing guys!
    I tried MSI Afterburner and Asus Tweak and both give the the same result.
    I can set memory oc to 6000mhz but only be able to run 3d mark.Games crash.

I tried new 14.1 beta driver and it seems to work better.
    Even wothout OC i got a decent boosst in MEtro LL. Before that i received 8-9FPS on all eye candy maxed out.Now i get 29-30. I think my memory OCs better than before.
    I guess it was driver problem all the time....