Help me My 8800gt is way too hot!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nhan89, Jun 10, 2008.

1. nhan89

nhan89 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 stock speed
    Hi everyone

I downloaded the Devil May Cry 4 demo today at gamespot and I've played it for 15 minutes. Everything was fine but when I checked the temperature with the program Riva Tuner , it showed 93 degrees celcius!! Is it normal?? Can I keep playing games? I am scared of burning my graphic card due the the temperatures.. And plus its summer.. Is there anything I can do? I've heard that I cannot buy another cooler to replace the stock one because I have a BFG one.. I did not overclock anything , everything is at stock speed.

any ideas?? :uhoh:

2. nhan89

nhan89 Member

GPU:
    I forgot to mention that I set my fan speed permanently at 80%

3. GalantVR41062

GalantVR41062 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Vega 64 CF
    Life time warranty, you are running factory clocks then its there problem. Case air flow, anything you can do to make this better? Clean dust, and move wires around, buy a few 120mm fans.

~John

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Since you already set the fan speed to 80% then those temperatures are too hot. Did you have any BSOD or artifacts so far, though?

If not, I would try to clean the card like GalantVR41062 said, with a can of compressed air and/or take the heatsink/fan of the card and put new thermal paste on there. In case you want to spend some money you can buy an aftermarket cooler. In case you don't feel like messing with your card, you can call BFG and send it back to get a replacement.

5. nhan89

nhan89 Member

GPU:
    Yes my graphic card has already had artifacts ( green lines sometimes and red lines sometimes ) while playing fear. I was told to lower lower memory clock to 964 to fix it. I remove one side of my case to let the air flow , I have 2 120mm fans , one in front to get the air in and one on the back to get it out.I just played dmc4 again with 100% fan speed and it still reach 90 degrees...

here some pictures that I took a long time ago, hope you can get the idea now :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  6. xBeldin

xBeldin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512MB / Zalman VF1000
    Like they've said you either have to contact BFG or get an aftermarket cooler. An aftermarket cooler can help a ton with the 8800GT. 8800GT heatsink roundup

7. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB

I flashed my Gigabyte card with the latest EVGA bios, which turns the fan up quicker as the card heats up.

I had an issue which was present in all Nvidia drivers I used that was the drivers would default to set the fan speed at 30% FIXED. Everytime I started windows I had to set the fan to auto in CP or it would not speed up as the card warmed up.

I fixed it by uninstalling Ntune which controls the fan and I installed this instead.

http://www.evga.com/articles/405.asp

Its now easy to overclock and my fan speeds up and slows down as it should without my intervention.

8. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    My 8800-GT from Giga-byte has a different design and overvolts the card. On stock cooler it jumped to 85 Celcious degrees after only 20 seconds of load, so I immediately shut the game down and changed the cooler (now running 60 Celcious under full load).

I hope those guys at Giga-byte won't get disappointed if the have a high RMA request from this card, cause overvolting like that is what I'd love to see.

9. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    Having your case open isn't the best solution.
    Close it again and make sure the fresh air that comes from the front intake fan finds its way to the bottom of your videocard. Try to remove anything that would be in the way.

If your temps are still too high, there are only 3 solutions:
    1) apply better thermal paste between heatsink and gpu (or buy another heatsink)
    2) downclock your gpu
    3) get some AC in your room

You also could try to RMA this card, but I doubt an other 8800GT will be any cooler.

Anyway, GPUs are more heat-resistant then CPUs. At 90°C you're still ok, but i wouldnt recommend going any higher.

10. nhan89

nhan89 Member

GPU:
    thanks for all the help everyone , I will try everything.

11. Fahim

Fahim Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB Bl

Dump the BIOS using GPU-Z, send me a copy, i will mod it for you so the fan speed can change quicker. I had the same problems, then i mod the bios to solve it.

12. LadiesMan32

LadiesMan32 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro Crossfire
    hey ya i had the same problem. with the stock heatsink, i got 92 degrees when playing any game, and 53 idle. then i got a thermaltake duorb aftermarket cooler, and now i have 53 load, 41 idle. and i have a thermaltake armour case too, so airflow isnt a problem. i agree with the others, either contact bfg or get aftermarket cooler. hope u get the problem solved!