Help me mod my case...

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by PsXDnS, Feb 1, 2005.

1. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT @ 434/389
    Hi - here is my current case (it arrives tomorrow, but this is the setup I am going to have once it gets here):

[​IMG]

Basically, each fan is 80mm, 2 blowing in (front/side) and 2 blowing out (back).

My friend says this is the best unmodded setup that I should use.. (let me know if he is wrong :p)

Now, I want to hook up a window fan and create an airtunnel of winter air (I live in ohio, itll be under 50F for probably another 4 months, and its currently around -5C outside) into the case - going to the side/front fans, of course. I was curious if anyone else had done this, or what they recommend me do in addition to this, or whatever...

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

2. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Hmm, something is telling me that you should be careful in bringing in air that is too different from ambient room temp because air carries water/moisture, and if that condenses appropriately, you could have water inside your computer's components.

That said, your ideas don't sound too bad. Modding a blowhole in there would probably be good. Is there only one 80mm fan up front?

If you aren't into modding a blowhole, that's cool. Well, not really cool since you will be running a bit hotter than you would otherwise, but it isn't that big of a deal.

but yea, be careful about that condensation. anybody out there know more about this? -5C air coming into a 20C or so room. Cold air is more dense, I assume carries more moisture. Bah, I dunno. Just look into it before you do it.

3. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT @ 434/389
    Yup only 1 80mm up front.

Was thinking about possibly doing a blow hole mod - but depending on if I do the whole window thing, not sure if it would be a plus (ud think more cold air coming in than going out would be good - but I duno, thats why I'm posting ;))..

Any idea if some sort of filter (no idea what kind) would be a viable solution to the moisture? I've seen people use their computer outside in winter, on like a balcony, but I'm not sure if this would be different than what I'm proposing..

Thanks

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    You cannot do this without cutting the room air's access to the case off completely. A filter won't do anything.

Personally, the risks would outweigh any gains that might be seen...

Best case scenario: only the outside of the case gets wet or frosty from condensation.

Worst case scenario: total system meltdown after sneaky H20 droplets conspire to soak your rig.

I'd pass on that noise and install that blowhole, personally (try a 120mm for maximum CFM, better looks and less noise). If you want to get it cooler, then grab your parka, shut the room's door and any heat vents.

Then open a window and go to it!!

GL

5. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    should that window pannel fan be blowing in or out? (often wondered this)
    i got 120mm intake (front) 80mm intake (side) and 2 80mm exhaust (back). and obviously 120mm (or whatever it is) psu fan.
    at one stage i had the lower of the 80mm exhausts flowing inwards, interestingly it reduced temperatures.

the "airtunnel" idea is not a great one im afraid, similar problem to the fridge suggestion ive heard before, condensation is not your friend. I think you'd have to bring the cool air to a certain temperature before it enters your case for the water withing the air to gain enough energy (and therfor not condense) to not pose a threat to your computer, alternitavly you could lower the density of the air (somehow) since pressure, volume and temperature are all proportional!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  6. pantsmachine

pantsmachine Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 260gtx
    I have 80,90 & 120mm fans on my rig, Your rear vents look similar to mine and i managed to get a 90mm fan on it. Measure once the case arrives before u buy fans. bigger fan the better. My 80mm fan is rather small and noisy in comparison to the other two(obvious i know) but when you see the three of them and feel the difference in airflow bigger is better as the actress said to the vicar.:D Good luck.

For moisture removal you would need a dessicant filter to absorb the moisture. My guess would be much hassle for little gain.

7. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    what if he connects the airtunnel to his window, then allows the cool air to flow through some kind of semi permiable (to water) tube through his computer, obsorbing the heat into the cool tube and exhausting it (lol similar to how a fridge works).

8. chickenRUN

chickenRUN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 7950
    really what it comes down to is it really wont be much of a bother having a duct from outside.. i am in cleveland ohio and sure its cold out but run liquid cooling or a good air cooled system and you can keep it at ambient