help me choose between these 2 PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vize, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Vize

Vize Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Turbo Gtx 1060 6GB
    recently my 480watt antec power supply which i had for 2yrs died so i need a new one to run the pc in my profile and since new pc will be ready in 1-2mnths it will be moved to that one'
    '
    new pc will be core 2 duo 6750 or 6850 and 320meg 8800gts 1 hard drive 1 dvdburner 2gigs ram and a 19inch widescreen lcd sooo what psu i need and no i will not sli later

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001

other suggestions are welcome also

2. doubled80

doubled80 Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320 mb
    Both are decent PSU, as a fellow consumer who would also want good value and investment I would choose the 2nd PSu the $114 one after rebate. Reasons being is that it has superior reviews of 113 reviews compared to the 6 reviews the 1st one has. Also, it specifies efficiency ratings around 83% while the other one doesn't say anything about that. Efficiency is good as it doens't suck in all your wall power to be used = equaling a lower electricity bill (which is more important than most people think.. it could save you $_ _ a month and if you total that up yearly you could be saving $_ _ _ for running your computer)

Yeah, anyway go with the 2nd one.

3. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    They are actually the same/identical, because the internals and specs of the units are the same, both are based on the Fortron Epsilon. The difference is that the GameXstream have blue led and the SteathXtream do not have the blue led.

If you do not need the Blue led light, you may go for the one without the blue led (the cheaper one).

Personally, I would go for this one: Corsair CMPSU-520HX ($89.99 after rebate, original price 99.99 inc free shipping).

The Corsair one is a high grade power supply (Seasonic with high grade components) and have 40 amps on the 12V; more than sufficient for powering the C2D 6850 and Geforce 8800GTS 320MB. Also the Corsair unit does not have the ripple problems at high load like the mentioned OCZ GameXstream/StealthXstream; the ripples can damage hardware.

Good luck!

4. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    yeah im seeing some weird fluxuations on my gamerextreme 600 watt since i hooked up this 2900xt so i would avoid it
    but if ya want it you can buy mine for cheap
    lol
    well not to jack the thread but can you guys recommend this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256016
    i read reviews that say it is good and little ripple
    also has the 8 pin pcie plug i need
    ppl keep complaining about a squealing noise but not everyone has that issue
    dont know if this is ripple but what im refering to is this
    in riva tuner graph that shows voltage regulator current it is all up and downs all the way through,to me it doesnt seem to look good.
    also the silverstone is single rail

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007

5. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    The Silverstone Olympia power supplies are actually very good, unless you are unlucky and got one with the squealing/whining noise. According to Makalu the squealing noise may be caused by a poorly mounted coil.

The mentioned Olympia 750W have 60Amps on the 12V and is sufficient for most high end pc (Core 2 Extreme and 8800GTX SLI). Also the unit includes the 8 pin pci-e power connector which is handy for new gfx/videocards like the ATI HD 2900XT. The Silverstone Olympia is a much better, more stable (no ripple issues; very good voltage regulation) and a more powerful psu than the GameXstream/StealthXstream.

Here's a very good review for the Olympia 750W:
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=423&type=expert&pid=1

Good luck!

6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well ripple is the constant minute changes in the voltage and can only be measured with an oscilloscope and the software voltage readings aren't accurate enough to diagnose for sure...see what a multimeter says. The whine in the Silverstone OP's is an issue with versions 1 and 2 of those and fixed in versions 1.5 and 2.5. They said they replaced the transformers because the transient response time on the originals was too fast.

7. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Glad to hear the whining noise problem is solved now, because the Silverstone Olympia is such a good power supply.

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah they are good units in many areas and the fastest transient response times too ;)

9. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    +1 to Silverstone Olympia or Silverstone Zeus

10. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    so since newegg orders in such big bulk i assume
    would it be safe to place an order for the olympia?
    i want to order now so its here friday,overnight
    almost bought the ultra x3 1200 watt today at fryes
    my first time at a fryes,we never had them on long island,ny
    very cool store
    was gonna get a fryes card but the system was down
    drove 2 hrs to just look
    kinda sucked since there was soooooo much stuff.

11. BTK

BTK Member

12. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    I'm sure it'd push it a bit more in 06. 500-520w may be a safer figure...

13. linderman

linderman Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati 1600 Pro
    IMHO many fellas miss the boat with that line of thinking; the 500 watt will power anything concept

just think about this for a minute:

Jonny Guru and several others have come up with what they refer to as a "torture test" for PSU unit review

now mind you; all units tested are NEW and fresh and do not suffer from any capicator aging whatsoever

the torture test is subjecting a PSU to 45C case temperatures at 80% load; for a duration of 24 hours. Many units they test either die or fall apart in the quality of juice they deliver during this test. So what makes you think you can game with a computer day in and day out anywhere near a 400 watt output ???? your case temps are most likely in the 35C to 40C zone and capicator aging is occuring every year of operation.

Recently I saw a Server Power Supply article where they had stastics that stated for every increase of 10 degrees Celcius the capicators loose 50% of their life >>>>> now how does that equate with your theory that you can push any modest sized PSU that hard and at what duration ?

A more realistic load would be 50-60% of a units sustainable output (not the same as max power output) and that 50-60% better be at the correct temperature for the unit

a unit rated at 25C to deliver 500 watts doesnt even come close to delivering 500 watts nor its amp rating at real case temps

even the OCZ's are rated at 40C temps >>>> Corsair & Seasonic & antec trio are rated at 50C

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  14. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well the 400 watts in the link is measured at the wall. The Liberty 500 is about 80% efficient at that load level (on a 120V main), so that's 320 watts of DC output from the PSU. 60% of 500w is 300 watts...so what's the problem? lol The dude had to run a bunch of benchmarks to get that out of it. Sounds to me like any good quality 500-550W unit will power any typical single-GPU system.

15. linderman

linderman Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati 1600 Pro
    didnt he have a 480 that crapped out after two years ???

how long would the OP like the unit to perform ? I personally expect 3 years minimum

16. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah the OP had an Antec TP 480 with Fuhjyyu caps that lasted 2 years like a lot of them.

17. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i just got the silverstone olympia 750 its stable as hell so far
    and i got one without that buzz and squealing noise
    also got a wireless router
    next week is a new hd and fans
    and the week after is 2 new dvd cd drives
    then week after is a p35 mobo and a
    after july22 c2d
    then i will have 2 comps finally lol