Help - Laptop with AMD Processor + graphics, no USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Coxis, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Coxis

Coxis Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7950
    Hey guys,

I've had this laptop for 2 years now. Here are the specs:

I can't post links due to post count it seems... please look up in google HP dv6-6c75la entertainment notebook and you'll find it quickly.
    2.5 GHz/1.6 GHz VISION A8 Technology from AMD with AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M Accelerated Processor
    AMD Radeon HD 6620G + 7690M Dual Graphics with 1024MB GDDR5

It has switchable graphics and an AMD chipset. Whenever catalyst is uninstalled (in order to upgrade to a newer version) I lose my 2 USB 3.0 ports on the left, but not my 2 USB 2.0 ports on the right.

This was normal and after installing the newest catalyst I always got my USB 3.0 ports back after the reboot. Unfortunately, starting with catalyst 14.4 my 3.0 ports stopped working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. This leaves me severely limited with only 2 available USB ports.

What could be the issue? The only way I regain those ports is by installing the AMD drivers on the HP site, but they are from 2010... a really old catalyst version. When downloading the drivers from AMD I've tried selecting APU or Notebook Graphics but I think the downloads are the same. I had no problems until now.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Who's the USB chipset vendor for the 3.0 ports? My AMD switchable graphics laptop's USB3.0 chipset is AMD; my desktop uses Etron.

If it's AMD, you could try force-installing the USB3 drivers that are part of the 14.4 chipset drivers (they should install as-is from CIM on Windows 7; 8/8.1 stick with the default MS driver, but also work fine with the AMD Win7 driver).

3. Coxis

Coxis Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7950
    That's the problem, the chipset vendor for my USB 3.0s is AMD. They used to work just fine whenever I reinstalled CCC, but now they don't. I did this several times over the course of 2 years every time a new version of CCC came out. The problem started with 14.4.

How can I force-install the USB3 drivers?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB

5. Coxis

Coxis Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7950
    Thanks buddy, that worked. Since I never had this problem I didn't know they could be found outside of the whole CIM package. :)

Thanks again.