HELP - Is one of my CPU Core going bad?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by reborn, Jun 17, 2010.

1. reborn

reborn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB @Stock
    Guys, i'm having serious problem in the past few weeks.
    It started to happen after windows update few weeks ago, maybe it's just pure coincidence.
    My PC just keep crashed (started with small stutters) and sometimes leads to BSOD with an error message such this: "a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval"
    After doing some research, it led me into "Bug Check 0x101: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT".
    Some said it's my CPU going bad and others said its just a software / driver problem.

I want to know what really happened. How do i check if one of my Core is going bad?
    I've ran intelburntest with 5 iterations, prime95 and showed nothing wrong.
    The temp is really fine, 33max at idle for each core. and i didnt do any overclock. I did reformat 3 days ago and mobo bios & drivers are updated

Is my cpu going bad? or its just a driver problem? and how do i check for a bad core?

Thanks in advance. I really need some help :(

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Sounds like you've stumbled across some kernel or driver bug. Something is locking a core (probably for memory access) and isn't releasing the core in time.

//Svein

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You might be able to rule out hardware failure by pumping up the voltage to all cores. Do that and see if it goes away.

4. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    +1 ^^

5. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    ..or a system restore before that windows update

6. reborn

reborn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB @Stock
    "Sounds like you've stumbled across some kernel or driver bug. Something is locking a core (probably for memory access) and isn't releasing the core in time."

i tried uninstalling my kaspersky since it gave me error during boot time, but the bsod keeps occuring.

"You might be able to rule out hardware failure by pumping up the voltage to all cores. Do that and see if it goes away. "
    is it safe? how you do that?

"..or a system restore before that windows update"
    i'm gonna try another clean install

any other opinions guys? i'm really frustated :(

7. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    You can just download a better WATCHDOG CLOCK. One that won't timeout. :D No really, if it continues after a reinstall then I'd do a standard hardware t-shoot process. Let us know what happens after a reinstall. Although reverting the OS to before the update may be easier on yaz. :)

8. reborn

reborn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB @Stock
    problem solved... it was my usb modem driver that caused all the crashes..
    thanks guys