Help! I need convincing GTX480 is a good buy !!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Marlec, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Davy1shoe

Davy1shoe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3090ti
    Ive done massive amounts of driver teasting with my card everything from newest to oldest and found the XTreme-G_197.45_Vista_Win7_64bit the best out there for playing bad company 2 anyway.
    I set the settings to quailty in the top setting then turn on frame rendering 2 on with vertical sync off.

2. xXlAinXx

xXlAinXx Active Member

GPU:
    9800+
    It's confirmed here too, if you live in a igloo, or in some place like antarctica, you could indeed make your GPU idle even at 37° Celsius!
    alas.. by accepting to live in a house you should expect at least 49/63° location depending @ summer in idle from these card while in a case with a good airflow.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I would also say wait for refresh. :)

4. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    There is more to minimum FPS then just the video card. You have to take into account your other system components. Considering you have an older CPU and chipset, there is a possibility that it could be holding you back. Over the years, I've learned this lesson the hard way..

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i thought that was officially cancelled?

6. ed6698

ed6698 Active Member

GPU:
    pile of crap
    I had a Gtx 295 in my system. Now I am running 2 Gtx 480's sli. Games play just about perfect now. No lag, micro stutter anymore. Games way better then the 295.The 480's can handle any game I throw at them. Now I have a 295 that I have no use for.

7. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Getting a GTX480 won't make a significant difference on GTA4. The latest shadow rendering technique they've applied in the patch killed performance for all cards. I barely noticed a difference going from a 4850 to 5850 (unlike other games).

Are you sure you want to upgrade just for two console derived DX9 games?

8. Marlec

Marlec Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780GHZ Editio
    well no not just those 2 games but it seems i have the most lag with those still & it would be nice to finish those games playing at a constant 60FPS. I do have other games & the GTX295 does a nice job with most of them bar a few probs here and there.

BTW is there any other derived games nowadays ?? there all developed from xbox360 nowadays & the porting is crap :wanker:

Been reading Hilbert`s GTX465 SLI review & it`s very temping, 2x GTX465 is more powerful than 1x GTX480 & costs the same but of course you will need to accept the SLI probs. Althou scaling is great with the 400 series, my experince of DIRT 2 and having to wait 3 months for SLI to work has put me right off

9. Wohlrajh

Wohlrajh Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    I own a GTX480 and AC2 & GTA4, I previously had a GTX280 and my purchase was really worth it, but you won't see a lot of improvements from a GTX295 to a 480 on DX9 games. On DX10, and particularly DX11 the gap will be more noticeable.

On high settings (I guess you mean by that, everything maxed out with AA and AF ?) AC2 is almost everytime capped at 60 FPS, with drops to 50s sometimes. GTA4 is more CPU bound, and you have the same OC on the same processor as I have. I didn't have a lot of improvements on GTA4 compared to my GTX280, but I gained 5-10FPS so that's cool. But I don't have a constant 60FPS. I'm playing at a 1920*1080 resolution by the way, AA 4x, AF 16x.

To sum that up, you will have a constant 60FPS on AC2, not in GTA4.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. Marlec

Marlec Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780GHZ Editio
    Thats pretty much the info i was looking for :) good news for AC2 but not really good for GTA4. Rockstar suck so badly at porting it should be illegal :bang: wat does it take to get that game at a constant 60FPS ??

Anyway many thanks Wohlrajh & to all others who posted so far, all your comments are much appreciated :)