Help, I can't install BFG 8800 GT!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JDStevenson, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JDStevenson

JDStevenson Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XT Pci-e
    Here is the exact problem. I have taken out my ATI x850XT and put in the BFG 8800 GT, but when I try to boot up the pc the 8800 GT card won't show a picture on my lcd monitor. So I've had to put back my ATI card just to get online and look for help.
    A few things, firstly I have already uninstalled the drivers for the ATI card, secondly my LCD monitor is VGA so I'm having to use an adapter because the 8800GT is dual DVI. Thirdly I have checked that the power connector for the 8800 card is correctly fitted by leaving the case off and feeling that the fan on the card is going round.
    How the heck can I install the drivers for the 8800 when I can't even get a picture at boot up?
    Thanks. (I'm desperate, and pretty useless lol)

2. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    u hook up power plugs to ur card ofcourse ?

3. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    this may sound stupid but...

Is your x850xt AGP?

4. JDStevenson

JDStevenson Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XT Pci-e
    Thanks for replying. Yes I have connected the power supply to the 8800 card and no my x850xt is also pci-express. The monitor is not detecting the card, or vica versa. Oh and I only have one pci-slot. Could this be a motherboard problem?

5. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    Get new everything else, fresh windows install, and there you go. haha. Seriously dude, your entire system is abottleneck for that card. What PSU do you have? Does the GPU fan spin when you put it on? We need more info dude.

6. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Can your PSU handle the 8800GT? Also, try to manually set the signal input, sometimes LCDs are looking for analog input when connected toa digital source or vice-versa.

7. JDStevenson

JDStevenson Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XT Pci-e
    In my OP you'll see that I said that the GPU fan is spinning. As for buying everything new I don't have the money to do that, simple as.

Bug77 I have just bought a new 500W PSU which is the recommendation. Can you please tell me how I would go about manually setting the signal input?

Edit I have tried setting the signal input n the monitor I will try this with my DVI input in the card now installed and see if this does the trick. If it does I will try reinstalling the 8800gt. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  8. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Things to check for:
    PSU - how many amps on the 12v rail (you need 26 total for it to work fluidly). Mine is 18A dual rails, combining it gives 27.3-29ish amps, not 36, so you need to calculate a loss too. Also check, do you have a 500W PSU or more?
    Power connectors - I'll just assume you connected them properly. If you're combining two molex connectors to form a 6-pin, however, you may have combined two molex from the same rail (if you do have a dual rail PSU, this is not required if your single rail PSU has enough amps though).

Also I noticed one thing on my own comp - I cannot connect two monitors because both of them are using analog, my card has an analog and a DVI connector. It seems if I'm using the DVI transformer it will not show a picture on the screen that's using it. I don't know why it happens, but it could be your issue too (provided your monitor is using an analog connector instead of DVI or HDMI).

9. JDStevenson

JDStevenson Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XT Pci-e
    Yes the adapter is an analogue converter. Is there no fix for this?
    As for the PSU its 500W, on the box it says 12VDC 36A, which I assume means 36 amps, but I'm no expert on this sort of stuff.
    Your problem with dual monitors suggests that I need to buy a DVI LCD monitor eek.

10. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Is it dual rail? Even so, the amps would be fine, but just out of interest.
    Also, I just tried it out again. On Vista, my dual monitors work, but not on XP. It didn't work with analogue converter on XP for me, but it worked fine on Vista.
    Still, if you're only running a single monitor with it, and it doesn't work before Windows boots either, then I suppose it has nothing to do with that.

Best regards,
    Peezee.

11. JDStevenson

JDStevenson Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XT Pci-e
    Sorry but as a layman I don't know if the PSU is dual rail. Using SIW I have been able to identify my motherboard:
    Model 775Dual-VSTA
    Version 1.00
    Chipset Vendor VIA Technologies Inc
    Chipset Model PT894 Standard Host Bridge
    South Bridge VT8237A Standard PCI to ISA Bridge

Would it help to doanload a newer bios version, mine is listed as two years old.

Can you please tell me if the motherboard is the problem? For example does it support pci-e 2.0
    Thanks.

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I have an Asrock motherboard too. They tend to suck balls (excuse my french). Also I believe the 8800GTS requires a PCI-E 16x port. The Asrock 4coredual / Dual series only has a PCI-E 4x port with a PCI-E 16x interface, so all cards fit in. This may be your problem, and would eventually reduce your speeds anyhow.

Regards,
    Peezee.
    (Why do I keep writing that in the same topic? :))

13. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Go to Asrock's site and see the answer there:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/faq.asp?Model=775Dual-VSTA&s=775 (first question at the faq section of your motherboard).

Good luck!

14. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's definately it. Good luck flashing your card's bios, mate.

I have a question for you gurus then. I have the same chipset on my motherboard. Yet it only says that it won't work with Gen2 for 8800GT (and obviously GTS).
    Think it will work with a 9600GT, or should I get a new motherboard on the same occasion? (Yes, I will get a new eventually, but I'd prefer being able to upgrade CPU & VGA card instead, then MB later)

15. JDStevenson

JDStevenson Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XT Pci-e
    Peezee, I'm pretty sure its a genuine 16x slot (its long and purple)
    CTman can you please elaborate. Assume (with some justification) that you're talking to a complete pleb on these matters.
    When you say contact the vendor, do you mean BFG? And is there any other way to "flash the bios" I have no idea what this even means, sorry.
    Whe you say good luck, does this imply that it will be difficult to do, or difficult to get the information from the vendor?

16. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    how can he flash it if he cant boot up :p

use ur friends or local store to do it :)

17. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    The 8800gt is a PCI-E Generation 2 vga card, which in it's original form is NOT COMPATIBLE with ANY "VIA" chipset mobo ---> and a simple search of this and other forums would have told you this very important fact ?

The only current solution is to either, only buy a EVGA or MSI 8800gt since they have upgraded bioses which fix the problem, or, flash your "whatever" 8800gt with an "upgraded" EVGA or MSI bios ?

However, maybe a good idea for you to read the thread below before doing anything,

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=257015

:)

18. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You're not listening. It isn't a genuine PCI-E 16x. It's a 4x that has the interface of a 16x, so it is compatible with lots of 16x cards, yet runs the speed of 4x.
    How do I know? I have a better motherboard from Asrock, yet it has the same chipset and PCI-E 4x.
    Or you could read the notes from the manufacturer instead of telling me I'm wrong.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-VSTA&s=

19. JDStevenson

JDStevenson Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XT Pci-e
    Having read the link through it seems that as I cannot even boot to flash the bios I would need to get someone else to do it. I don't know anyone who has a pc except my brother and his is even older than mine. Guess I'll have to take it to a shop.

20. JDStevenson

JDStevenson Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 XT Pci-e
    Please don't speak to me like that. There is no need to be rude. It's not that I'm not listening, I just don't know much about these matters. I'm guessing there's a lot I could teach you about medieval history (I have a 1st class degree) but I would never speak to you in a way that makes you feel small.