Help! GTX260 Power Supply reqs & Mobo Compatibility

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Exia, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Exia

Exia New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia EAGLE 8600GT 512MB
    Hello everybody, 2 days ago my 8600GT died :-( , My PC specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel Core2Duo 2.2Ghz E4500

Motherboard: ASUS P5GC-MX rev 3.0 --Image: http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/8641/motherboardb.jpg

RAM: Kingston 2GB DDR2 667Mhz

Graphic Card: 8600GT 512MB [died]

Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA

Monitor: 17" LCD ACER [VGA D-Sub]

DVD-Drive RW ASUS SATA

Power Supply Wattage: 550W

Picture of my power supply details :
    http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9152/ps1u.jpg
    http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7757/ps2qp.jpg

My problem is that I want to buy the GTX 260 to replace my old and dead 8600GT (I am currently running on the intel integrated motherboard graphic chipset), I want to know if my system mainly the Motherboard and Power Supply will support it. I don't have the budget to upgrade an entire system for now, in my country the card is quite expensive about 375 in dollars, other PC parts are also quite highly priced. I also know that the GTX 260 is kinda overkill for my system but still I want it and it will be a major leap compared to the 8600GT and despite my actual system won't use the card at its best, in the future it will serve me right when I upgrade my system.

Secondly I want someone to explain to me whats all about the Power Supply double/single 12V rail and amps etc, I've read on other forums about this I can't seems to understand a damn thing about this, its so frustating and boring cause i've read the card need something like 38Amp from the Power Supply.

Thank you in advance for your reply's' and support and excuse the 'noobness' of my questions.

2. Dexirexi

Dexirexi Member

GPU:
    eVga GTX 770SC w/ ACX
    HI :) I don't think that this power supply is gonna cut it, it doesn't have enough power on the 12V rail (only 9 amps =108 watts). You need to change it. :)
    And about the 1 and 2 rails - if the power supply has 2 rails most of the time 1st rail is for the CPU and MB, the second is for the HDD,DVD -Rom, Video cards(if it has connector).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. Zboe

Zboe Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    Yeah, that supply is wholly inadequate. Recommended for a GTX 260 is 38A (12v rail) and a 500W minimum. That is for a "minimum" spec computer with a couple fans, no overclocking, one hard drive, one optical drive.

-edit for good link-
    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=104805.0

4. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    dont even thinck on power a gtx 260 on that power suply only if you wana tost the power suply and that mobo is kinda old tho but it wil have to do

5. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    What the hell? 9A on the +12v rail. That's pretty insane for a 550W PSU (in a terribly bad way).

My GTX 260 C216, Q6600 @ 3GHz, and 4 hard drives worked splendidly on a Corsair CX400 (30A +12v, although I think it does better than rated). With your system, you could probably get away with a power supply rated for 26A, but try for at least 30 amps to be on the safe side. Most quality power supplies rated for 500W will do the trick.

As far as dual- and single-rail +12v PSUs go: it's just how they're internally set up to distribute power. Nowadays, so long as you don't go cheap, a multi-rail PSU is as good as a single-rail PSU. Well, that same theory applies to all PSUs: quality is essential.

Enjoy the GTX 260 when you get it; it's a bit dated but should still offer around 4x the performance increase in games (so long as your CPU isn't holding it back). Even so, most new GPUs on the market will provide a very nice boost coming from the 8600GT.

6. Exia

Exia New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia EAGLE 8600GT 512MB