Help Gtx 480/470 or 5870 vapor-x ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bhaal, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    no, sadly newegg will have them as notify until release :|

2. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx
    A bright decision! We must NOT get caught on marketing publicity, think for yourselves god****, is really not that hard to see witch is best for what...(this time around the 480 is really only for super enthusiasts who wash themselves with dollar bills and gel)

I surely wont pay the same money for the same t-shirt with almost the same quality cos the brand.. please take this examples to high value's of money.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    No idea about problems i've been gaming with ati card since i dropped using 7800gtx and i've had 0 problems so far with drivers and games :) i've read some people have problems but there are problems with nvidia cards too or so i've read. yet i've yet to counter anything.

4. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Vapor X was a great choice the heat pipe cooling will come in handy and the idle power consumption is win.. Price performance ratio is on point and if you really miss physx you could pop in a cheap $90 9800gt in the second slot for that..

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

5. Bhaal

Bhaal Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB OC
    It's great. i have a 8600gt , could i use that for physx ? And how do i do that?

And another thing : in GPU-z i dont have OpenCL ticked ? Why?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  6. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx
    As I understand you can do it in win7, since win vista does not support multiple drivers.

Although nvidia does not allow to do it (they say, "if you want physx you will have to use nvidia card as main.... no ati and only nvidia as physx! that sucked) you can do it with XXX driver version of nvidia (xxx cos I don't know witch version is it, google it for answers), but well, the new physx enhancements of the newest drivers you wont have(since they block the physics if any other card than nvidia is doing main graphic load), again as I understand.

7. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I was really planning to get the 5850, but after hearing about grey screen crashes, and no phsyx support, it made me reconsider.

Do you 5850 owners haver GS crashes? Are these issues fixed? Any comments about no phsyx support?

Your comments greatly appreciated. no flames please.

8. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    heres some of my personal expirience from both teams:

ati:

high pitching noise fan
    slow driver support for very latest games, can take 1-3months to get working driver for new game
    works fluently on desktop mostly

nvidia:

soft fan noise, even on higher rpms and more quiet at idle speed as u can go slower rpms
    decent driver support for latest games, fixes comes out in days or weeks
    can be nightmare on desktop

recent cards: 9200se, 8800gts 640, 4870, 4870x2, gtx295

what i heard from friend that hd5000 still has high pitchin noise same as hd4000

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  9. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    I was looking up on some stuff about flashing the bios within the 5870 cards in general, people have actually got the gpu core running @ 1.25ghz?? DAMN!. Fast card boy...

If you can get the 5870 to over 1ghz on the core and some hefty speed on the ram, I would go with the 5870 in general because of the lower power consumption and heat, not only that, price as well.

Put A nice aftermarket heatsink on the 5870, tweak the voltages, gpu core and memory.

At this point, I think I would go with the 5870 just because the voltage tuner and tweaking.

If I went with the nvidia, it would be when they finally implement the full 512 sp's as oppose to 480 sp's, only time will tell.

I am waiting for the 5870 prices to come down a bit. My Core 216 is doing great for now(On Stock Cooler W/TX-3), I am holding off for a bit longer. 5870 refresh cards? yes please.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  10. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    i don't understand this logic.

Buying a 5870 Vapor-x then a 9800gt for physx makes the cost almost the same as the gtx 480.
    Power consumption for the 5870 + 9800gt will be similar to the gtx 480 on its own.

All that for just a few physx games, plus you've got all that fiddly hacking of drivers and compatiblity issues when new drivers are released.

May as just buy the gtx 480 if you want physx, and have generally faster performance in most games.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I'm in a similar dilemma but I'm waiting some more weeks/months and then decide as I live in hope that there will be Fermi cards with better cooling coming in the near future. It's not like my gtx 280 is getting hammered, it still holds out quite strong so I won't rush out yet.

12. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I'm doing the same i think.

I want some more horsepower for BC2 and Metro, but I don't want to risk getting the GTX 480 incase they release a new revision in the near future.

Maybe i'd consider one if the price comes down and some aftermarket coolers are out thou, eg like the arctic cooling accelero extreme for my current gts285.

I think the the Sapphire HD 5870 2gb vapor-x may tempt me thou if the price is right when its released soon.............

13. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    That's true but using the 480 card with physx on takes a performance hit while the 5870 is used solely for graphics and a dedicated phsyx card=better performance but yeah messing with drivers can be a headache..

14. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    yea but then again you could still use a dedicated physx card with the 480 aswell :banana:

15. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yeah the point I was trying to make was it's not worth the cost for the only 2 decent physx games out there, Batman & Metro.