Help: GTX 260s stuck in "low power mode"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by matrices1, Oct 13, 2008.

1. matrices1

matrices1 New Member

GPU:
    260 sli
    A week ago, I installed one XFX GTX 260, which ran without errors.

A couple days I ago, I installed Vista 64, an EVGA GTX 260, and a 1K watt Corsair PSU.

The problem I am having is that one or both of the cards gets "stuck" in low power 3D mode - 400mhz core - and I can't do anything about it. The speeds show up in Rivatuner and do not ramp up during games or slide down in regular 2D mode.

Sometimes it happens to just the EVGA card, sometimes both cards. Rivatuner either can't detect the clocks when this happens ("detect now" does nothing, reboot doesn't make the clocks appear) or it allows you to fiddle with the sliders but they have no actual impact.

At some point I was able to get these cards working in SLI fine for a few hours. But even there, I had a problem in that each card said it was running at its own default clock speed (576 for one, 604 for the other), so the overclock I had set them to jointly did not stick beyond the immediate gaming session.

I have: Intel C2D, 4GB RAM, 650i SLI MSI Platinum system.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. BlackShogun

BlackShogun Active Member

GPU:
    Chaintech GF8800GTS 512MB
    Check your PSU and cabling to your graphics card, it might not getting enough juice.
    Try forcing constant 3D mode in Riva Tuner, and set your low power 3D mode equal with high 3D overclock.

3. troop

troop Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX
    I think, you got your problem right there. You've got two cards, same chips
    which should work, but different clockspeeds (vga bios)
    You say it worked fine once(?) for several hours but not beyond that.

You could try to flash your vga-bios(backup) of one of your cards to the exact same numbers(core, ect.) of the 'slower' card, then remove drivers
    completely and reinstall them. You should work with one card (the one to flash) only for the try.
    If then 3D speeds are ok(1 card; then SLI) and you feel lucky, you could
    try to flash both cards to the higher numbers and see what you get.

If you dont want to flash, you still have the option to return and get
    same brand/speed as your first card; safest way.

Thats what I'd do. :)