Help ease my paranoia

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Gzilla, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Gzilla

Gzilla Member

I recently went through quite an installation ordeal with a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card. I'll spare you the details, but in the process had to switch PCI slots a couple of times. On at least one occasion I forgot to totally unplug the system before inserting the card. The power was off, but the standby light on the MB was still on. Anyway, the sound card functions Ok, but now I'm afraid I might have damaged the card or at least stressed some component. What do you think? Should I worry about it, exchange it or forget about it? Thanks for your advice.

2. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

Well, if it still works and doesn't cause you any problems, it's not damaged.

Be more careful next time;)

3. Gzilla

Gzilla Member

Yeah you're right. I was just getting to the end of a 7 hour , 3:00 in the morning installation troubleshooting marathon. It's just a shame what I had to go through to get this installed. Thanks for the response.

4. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

It may have been a pain in the @ss to install, but it's an awesome card, I'm looking in to getting one to replace an old sblive I've got in a backup comp that's used for mp3's and stuff.

Sounds like you had some irq problems installing it, I had similar problems with my Audigy platinum when I first installed it, damn thing had to be in the bottom pci slot or it just wouldn't work right.

So, what do you think about Creatives drivers and the three of four little craplets it puts in your system tray and all the registration crap it installs in your registry?

That's the only thing I don't like about Creative cards..
    The Audigy's sure sound good though, set it up with some Klipsch 5.1's and you're in audio heaven:)

5. Gzilla

Gzilla Member

You're so right about the IRQ. I initially installed in a PCI slot that supposedly does not share an IRQ. The card worked but Win98se would not shutdown. I put the old card back in the same slot and everything worked fine. Had to try two other slots and play with the IRQ assignments in the bios before everything settled down.
    The driver/200 meg of redundant software install didn't work the first time and had to remove, reinstall etc. I tried the driver web update which hosed everything again and neccesitated a third removal and reinstall.
    If the card didn't sound so incredibly good it would have gone back days ago.
    It's a great compromise between gaming compatability and digital music reproduction and manipulation. Although some games in Win98 seem to stutter a bit on the WDM drivers as opposed to the VDX, Battlefield 1942 plays and sounds better than it ever did. I guess I'll have to live the problems with the older games until I upgrade to XP.

6. Gzilla

Gzilla Member

BTW Emanon, I had to laugh when I re-read your post about the registration applet. At first it came up with a list of creative products that I was supposed to register. The list included the sound card I had just removed (drivers and all). What a piece of junk. It wasn't as amusing at 2:00 AM as it is now.

7. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

You may be able to reduce, or get rid of the stutter by reducing the hardware sound acceleration level in dxdiag, under the sound tab.
    I've had some games stutter constantly unless I reduced the sound accel by one notch. Now, I just leave it there. It doesn't seem to have any adverse affects, and if there's a difference in audio quality, I haven't noticed it.

Give it a shot and see if it helps.

It would be worth the upgrade to xp, if you don't wanna pay for it, just get Kazaa lite and download an xp pro corporate iso.
    It should be about 580mb or so.
    You'll need a cd key, but it shouldn't be hard to find one.
    Burn it to a cd using something like nero, and you're ready to install it, although it may not boot from the cd, you can still start the install by getting the startup floppies here..http://www.bootdisk.com/

good luck, and enjoy your new card:)

8. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

Yeah, it's funny how damn pushy they are when it comes to registering their products.
    You can safely remove the reg keys corresponding to product registration, I think it's something like UPDREG or somesh!t like that.
    I couldn't stand to see all that extra $hit that I never use running at startup, why waste system resources on useless apps?
    If you need a good regcleaner to rid your comp of the Creative apps you can get one here:
    http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/programs/RegCleaner.exe

GL;)

9. Gzilla

Gzilla Member

Thanks for the suggestions I'll give 'em a shot.