Help! C2D E6420 temp doesn't improve with CM HyperTX2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by i_am_vince, Feb 21, 2008.

1. i_am_vince

i_am_vince Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800Gts 320 OC (factory clocked
    i bought a coolermaster HyperTX2 last week, because finding the stock fan too noisy and i thought of a bit of o/c with my e6420. I'm living in south east asia so room temp could be as high as 32c in the day.

Idle with stock fan, CPU Temp was around 47c, Core temp around 35-37c with fan speed usually around 2300 - 2700rpm.
    unfortunately, i didn't test with load temp before i remove the stock fan.

Idle after install the TX2, the temp, it's not as noisy as before as the fan only max at 1950rpm. CPU temp 45-46c, core temp 34-37c.
    Load temp with orthos, CPU temp 60c and core temp 51c.

although TX2 was able to match the stock fan temp performance with lower speed fan, but i did expect slightly lower temp to afford me to o/c.
    So is there something i did wrong? and is it dangerous for me to o/c my c2d? i would like to o/c to 2.8ghz (400x7)

cheers

2. JimmyFox

JimmyFox Master Guru

GPU:
    2x ATi Radeon HD4830 CF
    I had the TX2. I think it's a good HSF for its money but you'd better make sure that it is firmly attached on the CPU.

TX2 could easily handle 3.6GHz on my E2180. I believe you can easily go above 3GHz.

3. i_am_vince

i_am_vince Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800Gts 320 OC (factory clocked
    Thanks for the reply, Jimmy.
    Whats the normal room temp when you were using it with your E2180?
    Also, do you think its pre-applied thermal greese is good enough?

Cheers