Help! An inch from throwing that card away! Blackscreen reboots with r290

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by FrankHe12, Dec 17, 2014.

1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    just out of interest have you tried installing just the driver part and not the amd catalyst control center part of the AMD driver? I have a friend who said he has odd issue with his r9 290 works fine if he just installs just the driver but if he installs the driver and amd catalyst control center he has random black screen issues, but do try a better PSU as the AMD top tier card need power like its free.

just mention I had 7months of black screen issues with my r9 290x's even tested with 1000watt psu, I sent cards back in the end (both turned out to be faulty) so had them replace with gtx970's

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My corsair PSU gave me problems (random shut downs, voltage regulation, etc) just days after the 5 year warranty expired so I'm hesitant to recommend the brand :p I bought a EVGA Supernova G2 80+ Gold and so far, so good. Pretty affordable too.

3. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    when I first got into computers I was on a real budget I used to be one of those type of people who would only buy cheap OEM parts, like cheapest motherboard, and only buy a cheap OEM case that would always come with an PSU already installed, as I could not afford to buy high end parts back then these little system I built for myself used to be ok or I thought they where lol.. I learnt a lot once I started to upgrade parts, now I will try and buy the best I can get or afford the PSU and motherboard are my main two things I try not to skimp out on but I would say the PSU should be your focus for peace of mind when it comes to your computers Power demands. in the long run it just pays to save for the better parts.

4. FrankHe12

FrankHe12 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor radeon r9 290
    I am looking at getting a Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2 ATX12V 2.3 - 80 PLUS Bronze - Wechselstrom 90-264 V - 600 Watt

Should be sufficient ?!

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    As long as you don't crossfire, you'll be fine with that.

6. FrankHe12

FrankHe12 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor radeon r9 290
    Thats great! No I dont intend to use crossfire, at least not yet.

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    you might also want to check on what the brand of the card says it needs, for example my old powercolor r9 290x's said on each box, min of 750w psu !!

so check on website just to make sure. I know my other system which has an 700w zalman PSU could not run one of my r9 290x's that system would just reset once under load although maybe the zalman 700w didn't have enuff amps on the 12v rail ? I tried 1 12v cable then 2x 12v cables from psu to gfx card but it made no difference, probs would not recommend a zalman 700w psu.

I honestly think needing 750watts just to power a computer to play games is getting stupid, thank fook for NVidia's high end cards, still high power in my books but less power needs than AMD's offerings atm.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They're just covering their asses just in case the user has an old or low quality PSU. The amps are more important as you noted. He should be fine.

9. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yea to be fair the powercolor r9 290x's were factory O\C so probs why they said 750w psu.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Not fond of the CX series myself. I think Superflower or EVGA would represent a better value for money preposition.

11. FrankHe12

FrankHe12 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor radeon r9 290
    Just now I installed the new PSU. After installing the latest driver 14.12 I restarted and everything looked fine. I could use the system for the longest time yet. (About 15min) I was installing and updating java/flash and origin when the first crash happend.

After restart I upped voltage on afterburner by 25 points. Almost immediately after that the system crashed.

After the 3rd restart I activated a profile on afterburner that downclocked memory and mhz together with an increase of 25 points on voltage.

The system now crashes as it did before I bought and installed the new PSU.

Any suggestions?! Loosing my mind here!

UPDATE: deinstalled 14.12 (in safe mode with DDU) now installing 14.7-RC3. And deinstalled MSI Afterburner, I ll keep you posted | Result: nothing changed. ca. 2 min. after logging onto windows the system crashed again.

UPDATE 2: Deinstalled 14.7 RC3 and installed the newest again 14.12, without Afterburner. Also I deinstalled adobe flashplayer.

After the reboot, I tried updating Battlefield via origin and the screen would go black but after a few seconds come back with a system info popping up in the corner informing me that the "display drivers have been restored" The system did that 2 or 3 times before collapsing into blackscreen and reboot.

Dont know if its relevant but: During one of the crashes I updated java and it must be corrupt since every time I start windows I get an error:
    " No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 64-bit JDK or JRE ..... "

UPDATE 3: I ran prime95 and memtest just to exclude errors from other parts of the hardware. No errors.

12. FrankHe12

FrankHe12 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor radeon r9 290
    Nobody got an idea !?

13. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    your problem sound something like I had, I replaced my 850watt corsair for another 850 rm psu people kept telling me it my PSU still no fix so got a bigger 1000w psu still no fix (sent 1000w psu back as psu was obs not the problem) no matter what I done I had issues, my fix was the gtx970 not had a black screen since, if iwas you I would send the card back it sound faulty to me.

or that cm600 is not powerful enough its a budget/entry level corsair if its the one im thinking of, but to be honest you could be going around in circles chasing the right psu for your budget and an high end amd GPU they need so much power I cant justify any high end AMD GPU because of the power demands, in this day and age I would hope AMD pull some serious power efficiency out of their GPU bag before I would even consider another AMD high end GPU.

what you need to look at is how many amps your R9 290 needs and make sure your PSU has enough AMP's on the 12v rail to power the R9 290 and the PSU also has more than enough Watts to power the rest of your system

my 700W zalman http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=642 only has 20Amps per 12volt rail it was no good for an r9 290x, motherboard would detect power surge and reset.

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Dead or dying motherboard? My kitchen computer put me through 3 months of endless troubleshooting before I figured out that every single other component worked fine in any of my 3 other computers. Got an old LGA 775 DFI X38 off of Ebay and it has worked just fine since then.

Not saying that's what the issue is here, but after reading this thread and seeing all the stuff you have tried, that is my best guess.

The mobo I talked about earlier was 3 years old when it died, or was dead enough to basically be unusable. It could still be some sort of a PSU issue, but the fact that my brother has been running his R9 280X OC on a Raidmax 550W PSU for 2 years with not a single BSOD or crash, I don't know about that.

15. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I thought that but my cards done the same thing in 3 different motherboards, Intel rog hero, AMD asus a85xm-a and an Intel asrock h87m pro4 motherboard.

nothing worse changing parts just to get same issue heeh if was him I would send card back and get something less power demanding, would save a lot of messing around in the long run.

basically if you opt for a high end GFX card you should also budget for an high end PSU the costs cann soon spiral, just for my gfx cards and the psu has cost me a whooping £820 ! Gigabyte GTX970 G1 £340 each (at the time of purchase) Corsair RM850 £139.99 (at the time of purchase) these prices are store/shop price not online prices.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    In reality, watts are just as important as amps, seeing as you can't have one without the other.

17. FrankHe12

FrankHe12 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor radeon r9 290
    Yeah, I wont go off and buy another, potentially useless, spare part before I know for sure where the problem is.
    I will plug the card into a friends system and see if that works. If it does it has to be a incompatibility problem with my specific setup. And I have a spare mobo flying around at my parents house which I will be testing.

Its just odd that after I took all the hardware out and back in again (for installing the PSU) the system was running quite smoothly (for said 15 min) and after that it went back to the usual error symptoms (crashing within 1min of windows loading)

Well, I will keep you posted. In the meantime I will log on to a spare windows account and try to run the card there.

18. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Might be the psu and likely to be the ram. Many of these cards have to have the ram speed lowered else you get the black screen.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I doubt the PSU is to blame, if simply opening FireFox triggers a blackscreen it's more likely a problem with the card, especially being Powercolor.

For now open FireFox/advanced settings and disable hardware acceleration, see if that helps.

20. FrankHe12

FrankHe12 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor radeon r9 290
    well, its a shame you didnt post before 4 people yelled "PSU PSU !"

Anyways I am formating my harddrive now to exclude all software related issues. First thing after windows is installed will be the graphics card. Over christmas I will test the 290 in a different system. That should once and for all conclude if the card is faulty or if the rest of my components are to blame. Parallel to this I contacted Powercolor maybe they take the card back because apparently its a well known issue.