[HELP] AMD Athlon 5150 APU / Micro-stuttering

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Jeddrew, May 19, 2021.

1. Jeddrew

Jeddrew Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 8400
    So yeah, the title pretty much sums it

I have a CPU with integrated graphics basically. AMD Athlon 5150 APU, with RADEON 8400 HD / r3 series

I have this PC since 2016. It all worked fine, I had Windows 7 until 1 or 2 years ago the hard drive failed and had to buy a new one. Since I was reinstalling windows and Windows 7 was basically dying, I decided to update to windows 10.
    It worked fine for a while, but one day the screen looked very dark (as if the contrast was at MAX) and started to freeze for a split second every couple of seconds (what you'd call "stuttering").

Weird thing: the first time, it fixed by itself. I was just using the computer trying to ignore those issues and then the screen went black. I heard the notification for when a new device disconnects and then connects to the computer, and when it came back, the screen looked completely fine and the stuttering disappeared.

Then Windows decided to update (shocking) and after that, when I turned the pc on, the issues were back.
    And now it doesn't fixes itself. The stuttering only disappears when I disable the display device on the device manager, and the colours comeback to normal if I reboot the pc with the device disabled.

Another weird thing: when I watch videos in fullscreen, the screen doesn't stutter. it only does when I move the mouse is on screen.
    When I play league of legends, the game doesn't stutter but the mouse pointer does.

My guess is something is wrong with the drivers. I have seen in other forums that this device has some compatibility issues with Windows 10. I used to make a back up of the drivers when they worked so I could just revert to them when Windows Fcked up but it stopped working too.

What can I do?
    I tried to make a clean install of the drivers, both with Windows Update, AND with manually downloading.

If there's no solution to this I might try to install windows 8, but I'd like to not do that.

2. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Which driver are you using? First of all, update bios/windows/drivers, try 16.2.1 beta, if you still have problems install the modded driver for non gcn from this section. My friend is still running AMD HD 6670 1GDDR5 and he has literally no problems.

3. Jeddrew

Jeddrew Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 8400
    Thanks replying! I'll try those opcions in a bit.
    According to the device manager, it's the AMD driver version 27.20.1035.6

4. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    oh no wait my bad, it's GCN not pre-gcn, you should use the latest 21.5.2 driver not the old one which I told you. In this case, be sure to update BIOS/Windows and AMD driver to 21.5.2, maybe try chipset drivers too

5. Jeddrew

Jeddrew Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 8400
    Yo, I'm back.
    So I made a clean install, using both the AMD uninstaller and the Display Driver Uninstaller Tool and the 21.5.2 version, but the problem is still here.
    The stuttering occurs at longer intervals tho, which is kinda better but still, it looks pretty dark and it'll still be a nightmare for gaming or even work

I know it has to be the drivers since when I uninstall them and use the Microsoft Basic Display it looks and works fine, but games run at (literally) 7 fps.

Idk if this info helps, but on the events tab it shows this "error"
    [​IMG]

It basically says the device couldn't boot/start

6. Jeddrew

Jeddrew Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 8400
    Ok, I'm back and I may have fixed it. I'd have to download LoL again and see how it works, but the stuttering disappeared and the screen looks as bright as it should.

So If anyone else have this problem, just download a AMD driver compatible with Windows 8.1
    I'll link the one I used:
    https://es.driverscollection.com/_4...river-v.16.4.1-para-Windows-7-8-8.1-10-gratis
    (sorry for the spanish, but hey, that's what I speak)

So yeah basically ignore windows 10 drivers.
    Appearently they screwed up compatibility with these devices on windows 10 and since it's kind of an old model they either didn't bother or didn't have enough people complaining about it.

7. Jeddrew

Jeddrew Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 8400
    I can't find an edit button so I'll just update it here:

Yeah, it is solved.
    Games work perfectly fine, no stuttering, no dim screen.
    Fixed it by installing Windows 8.1 drivers.

Here's the one I used:
    https://es.driverscollection.com/_4...river-v.16.4.1-para-Windows-7-8-8.1-10-gratis (32 bits)
    https://es.driverscollection.com/_4...7-64-bit-8-64-bit-8.1-64-bit-10-64-bit-gratis (64 bits)

I recommend uninstalling with the AMD uninstaller and the Display Driver Uninstaller Tool (here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)
    After using those, don't restart the PC (I didn't need to, Windows will just use their basic display adapter)¨and then launch the installer I linked above. After that, it should work fine.

Last edited: May 22, 2021