Help a NooB install omea drivers!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Verliezer, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Verliezer

Verliezer New Member

GPU:
    ATI 9800 pro 128MB
    Hi,

Using ct 3.4 drivers at this moment with my 9800pro card. My OS is XP pro.

Now i was reading about the omegae drivers and did some reading about it and want to try them. But ....... Did not understand few things like do I need to throw away some things from the registry , etc.

Or is it control panel-> deinstall ATI drivers
    And install Omega drivers.

Somebody, tips !!!!

2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Hello Verliezer,

This may seem very tedious and some say so many reboots are not necessary. This is another one of the many debates but it is the safest way to execute this process. Go here to get this utility and install it.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Also download the latest ATI Omega Drivers from here.

www.omegacorner.com

Here are the steps.

1. Uninstall the ATI Control Panel.
    2. Reboot
    3. Uninstall the ATI Video Display Driver
    4. Reboot

You can go to Safe Mode or you can let windows return to the desktop. Your display will be 640X480 with only 16 colors. (Your icons will be huge and your colors will look like crap. ;)) Windows is going to search for your video card and you will see the tabs display themselves. Just click on cancel for every tab that shows up.

5. Enable Driver Cleaner and select the ATI option to get rid of the remaining ATI Files.
    6. Reboot
    7. Install the Omega driver based off the 3.5 Catalyst set.
    8. Reboot

Voila! The neat thing about Omega's drivers is that he has everything in 1 cool bundle which makes it 1 executable. The driver and control panel are installed together. :)

Have fun!

3. Verliezer

Verliezer New Member

GPU:
    ATI 9800 pro 128MB
    Thnx,
    Tonight I will try, and indeed lot of reboots but who cares. Time enough.

4. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    No Problem. :)

5. hiRo

hiRo Guest

hmm sry for the nub-question...but are there any 'real' advantages in using the omega driver?

edit: ok i found enough info on that already...
    but i didnt find info on how to unlock a 9700np for overclocking...where can i find some info about that?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2003
  6. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Master 3080ti
    They are base on it but not the same as the Ati's, they been tweak to run a little faster or have better picture. I personally can't tell if they're better or not. I heard this guy is a pretty smart guy and alot of people seems to appreicate his work includeing me.

7. hiRo

hiRo Guest

are the omega drivers 2.4.60 based on cat 3.5 ?

btw: what does that 9700->9800 hack do? it's mentioned in the readme of the omega drivers but there is no further information

8. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Master 3080ti
    Yes they are. The very same problems I see with the 3.5 are still there so I'm going back to the 3.4 omega. I have no idea about the second part you asked. I often wonder myself, since I heard you can not mod the 9700 into the 9800. Be nice if I could, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

9. Samuri

Samuri Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Digital Jedi-

Sorry for another nooby question, but I was interested in you very detailed driver install proces - which I like a lot anf thank you for.

You stated to un-install both the drivers and the CP, but I thought Omega stated to un-install just the CP, and to load their drivers over your existing drivers. Is this not suggested then? I used your process when upgrading from 3.4 to 3.5, but thought the Omega's were supposed to go over the old.

Thank in advance for any answers...

DM

10. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Hello Samuri,

I browsed Omega's website and I didn't see any information in regards to your question. I can't remember if Omega discuss the scenarios in his install tabs. I personally never install new video drivers over old ones.

In many cases, conflicts can arise from that. I wish I had a concrete answer for you.

I hope you're enjoying his drivers as I am. :)

11. Samuri

Samuri Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Thanks for the speedy reply...

Please keep in mind, I am not questioning you, I'm questioning my instalation process. I just want to make sure I do it the best way the first time. Nothing worse than doing all the work to have it fizzle in your face.

The statement I was referring to was in the WIN2K/XP readme file. Under REMINDERS. It states-

"There is no need to uninstall ANY previous drivers (ATI or OMEGA) when installing these, they will override any previous settings."

Which I thought went against driver instalation methods to begin with, but not knowing too much about the Omega drivers, I didn't question it. But then I read your instructions, and wanted to confirm.

On a side note, I haven't installed them yet. It took forever to download them (damn 56k modem). Will be installing tonight, and looking forward to using.

Thanks again for your comments, much appreciated!

12. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Anytime Samuri. I want to thank you for pointing out Omega's installation process. I blew right past his instructions because I've been completely removing drivers for years. :p I always played it safe but Omega is far more skilled than I am. Next time I'll read his instructions. Lol! :D

Take care Samuri

13. Samuri

Samuri Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Hey-

Happy to assist - *LOL*

I installed these puppies last night, and so far I'm very happy with the results. I haven't done any major gaming yet, but NWN seemed to play a lot smoother. Had a descent increase in 3DMark01 as well, but don't consider that a big reason to celebrate - Gaming and performance is where it matters. I did the 9700 -> 9800 hack thing too. Not sure what it really did, but I'll take any enhancements I can get.

Thanks again for the assist.

Good luck to you Jedi...