Help a guy pick a GTX 460 please

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by StanNJ1, Oct 15, 2010.

1. StanNJ1

StanNJ1 New Member

GPU:
    gtx 460
    I don't have a fraction of the knowledge that most of you have here and would appreciate your help choosing a graphics card.

I am not a gamer. I have a new Dell machine coming which I use primarily for photo and video editing with the Adobe CS4 products and will upgrade to CS5 soon. I saw the following on a website (studio1productions).......

Adobe Premiere CS5 was release with the new Mercury Playback Engine (MPE) that can use a video card’s GPU to accelerate playback, effects and rendering. Adobe has only “certified” a few of the high end video cards from NVIDIA. When you install Premiere CS5 and it doesn‘t find one of the “certified“ video cards, the Mercury Playback Engine is set to run in “software mode”, using only the computer’s CPU and not the video card’s GPU.

One of the cards getting high marks is the Nvidia GTX 460 and I'm really confused on which brand Asus, Sparkle, MSI, PNY, Gigabyte, etc, etc.... I do know that it needs to be the 1G GDDR5 version.

The machine I ordered and waiting delivery for is a Dell XPS 9100, Intel i7-930, 9GB Tri channel DDR3 SDRAM, 525 Power supply, Windows 7 Pro.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can give me.

2. Alien_Zero

Alien_Zero Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 1080
    Since you are a no Gamer, then the best way to look at it is this way :

-which one gives you the lowest price?
    -which one gives you the best warranty?

Ohh and get a GTX460 with 1 GB of RAM.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Not a gamer? Any gtx460 will do even 768mb version

4. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    if you value your quite time then DON'T get the kfa2 gtx460

5. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE
    EVGA 1Gig refrence card has a lifetime, ASUS and MSI seem to be the 3 most popular cards. I went with EVGA because of the support reputation and the support forums they have. You cant go wrong with any of them just read about what people have to say about each one. Good luck with your choice :)

6. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I'd go EVGA GTX 460. Best value & lifetime warranty.

7. StanNJ1

StanNJ1 New Member

GPU:
    gtx 460
    Thanks guys! By the way I placed an order on Newegg for the EVGA 1G GDDR5. The cost was $249.00 and it comes with a $20 rebate card, a coupon for a trial of Starcraft2, free shipping, and a lifetime warranty! The only other thing they could possibly do is come to my house and install it. :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  8. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    I had the gtx 460 1g cyclone from MSI thing overclocked like a champ and ran 24/7 at 900/1800/4400 and had a vantage score of 16000 and change...though I have now moved to a gtx 470 which I must say when overclocked gives far more impressive results.

9. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    You almost could have went for a GTX 470 at that price. Better performance and no need for the Premiere Pro MPE bypass.

1GB GTX 460s are more reasonable at $200 after MIR. Gigabyte and MSI both have very competitive offerings at this price point.

10. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    yea for 19 more bucks you couldve bought a recertified gtx 470...ah well

11. buddymanson

buddymanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 1GB @850/1700
    Get the cheapest one at newegg.