Help a beginner - My first (hypothetical) PC build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MrDaniel, Feb 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstrea
    Hi, recently I've been thinking about building a new PC. I'm really not sure what to get though, especially as if I do build one I'm on a limited budget (£600 max). I'd like something that can run games quite well, probably RTS games, as these are amongst my favourite types of games.

Anyway, these are the components my friends suggested:

AMD Phenom X4 9950 - Quad 2.6ghz processor.

Asus M2N-SLI MBA-M2NSLI - An AMD mobo, I really don't know that much about motherboards though.

Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512mb Graphics card - I'm not sure what it will be called after Nvidia change the names of the cards.

Samsung Spinpoint 500gb HDD 7200RMP - It's got a reasonable speed and more storage than I'll ever use.

Benq 22IN LCD WIDE E2200HDA - A 22" 1080p monitor that I can hook up to my PS3 if I want to. It's got some quite good reviews.

Corsair Twin2X4096-6400C5DHX RAM, 4GB of DDR2 RAM at 800mhz. RAM that has reasonably good heatsinks... Not sure how usefull that will be because I doubt I'll overclock my RAM.

As for the case, psu and optical drives I've not had any definite "get this" kinda help. I've also been told I should just use the onboard sound, rather than buying a seperate sound card...

Anyway, whil'st thinking about this my friend suggested this forum to me. Now I'm asking you for help... Can you suggest what components I should get, or atleast what percentage of my budget should be spent on what? Also remember that I live in the UK, so if you're goign to give links, make them for shops within the UK (online or otherwise). I've had bad experiences with import tax in the past.

If possible I'd also like a PC with which I can edit 1080P gaming movies, because I want to get the equipment to record myself gaming on my PS3 in the future.

Thanks in advance, and if this is in the wrong place please move it. I jsut thought this would be the most relevant place.

PS: I don't care about what make the components are, just best value for money. I don't mind whether it's AMD or Intel, or ATI or Nvidia.

Current ideas for build:

CPU: Phenom II X3 720 - triple core 2.8ghz processor.

CPU Heatsink: I want a decent heatsink because it's been suggested that I could overlock the Phenom II X3 720 to 3.4ghz without lots of overclockign experience. because of this I want a decent cooler taht will allow me to do this. I'm not toop bothered about noise.

Motherboard: I need help with this. Should I get an AM3 motherboard? Is it within my budget?

GPU: Most likely a 1gb GTS 250

HDD: I need suggestions about what to get, what speed should I get, how much space will I need?

Monitor: Benq 22IN LCD WIDE E2200HDA, I have a friend who's getting this next week, so I'll find out what it's like soon enough.

Memory: This depends on the motherboard. Is the difference in price between DDR2 and DDR3 worth it? Is DDR3 even in my budget? I also want at least 4gb.

Case: I want a nice looking case for a reasonable price. If it comes with a reasonable PSU then I'll stick with that.

PSU: I'm not sure how much wattage I'll need. Any help?

Optical drive: A DVDRW 20x Sata drive should be good enough.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Just a quick build i worked up.

[​IMG]

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    heres an intel alternative..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mmm id maybe change the hard drive. was some issue with crappy seagates..

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  4. MadHayden

MadHayden Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 570 1.28GB

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    People should stop suggesting the Q6600. It's old tech. Why get that when you can get a Phenom II for the same price?

6. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ofc but then i wouldnt have got it to within his budget :) so perhaps then the amd is better.

can u overclock the phenom 2 as well as the q6660? if yes then yep i'd say kyzler build is looking very nice.

7. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070.
    Eh, what do mean by old tech? Your statement is baseless. It is the highest selling quad core processor and one of the best. Q6600 is future proof. It has good overclocking potential.

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Phenom IIs are quite overclockable especially compared to the original Phenoms. Those things couldn't even overclock as good as their predecessors the K8s.

deltatux

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    food for thought perhaps ill go amd next build when my q9450 bites the dust :) i'd probably build an amd rig for me bro.

my first decent pc was an amd dual core and an ati gpu...lasted me a good 2-3 yrs.

in fact am using the processor in another build..

10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I have a feeling if you're really going to let your Q9450 to age to the point where it's so old that enthusiasts think it's ancient, then I'm sure Phenom III or IV is already out lol =P.

deltatux

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nah, they released a firmware update for those drives so it's all good now. This is a better option IMHO then the OP's. Only the HDD is a bit too pricey for a 250gig? I got a 500 gig seagate 32mb cache for like £43 about a month ago...

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Because it performs better.

13. noteleet

noteleet Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 5200 FX 128mb
    According to the Guru3d reviews is seems that the Phenom II quadcores beat the q6600 in most synthetic benchmarks. The Phenom II 720 is a cheap and solid chip for gaming. There's nothing wrong with picking either set up, really.

14. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    No it doesn't.

You have to get a Q6600 up to 3.8ghz for it to perform equally.

Good luck with that one.

Nevermind that you're just assuming he will even OC.

15. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for all your help so far.

There are a few things I'm not sure about though:

What are the risks of overclocking? If for example I went with the phenom 9950 at 2.6ghz how risky would it be to OC that to 3ghz?

Would a triple core be good enough? I tend to run lots of different programs at once and as such i thought that a quad core might be more pactical for me, it also has more bragging rights attached =).

Also I've noticed that the processors being suggested are mainly Intel. Whil'st I have no preference at the moment I have noticed that the AMD processors seem to be better value for my budget? Can anyone clairfy this? Do Intel CPU's perform better in toher ways?

One last thing is that my budget must include a monitor, but the one I found (well MadHayden actually found it) seems good enough.

16. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Let's address these in turn.

The risks of OCing and minimal. Find yourself a nice guide, read around online and see what kind of results and settings you should expect, and take it slowly. Never killed anything by OCing it. A 9950 would OC to 3.0ghz with a little finesse and a big cooler.

Tri core would be plenty. Let me phrase it to you this way. most games only like dual core processors, so even under the best circumstances, that game will take up 2 of your cores. This leaves you an extra core to run stuff in the background. That's oversimiplified, and there are exceptions, but for 90% of games this is truth.

Anyone suggesting a Q6600 to you is being silly. I'll choose to answer the long way here. It's clear you don't know much about OCing, so I wouldn't expect your first OC results to be spectacular. Truly, I don't know if you've even made up your mind about OCing at all. A Q6600 is going to run at 2.4ghz stock. This is insufficient for most games (With a nice graphics card) and would thus almost require you overclock it. Alternatively, the Phenom II 720 will come stock at 2.8ghz. Should you try to OC it you are likely to hit 3.4-3.6ghz for starters. With a lot of tweaking and good cooling I've seen them at 3.8-4.0-4.2 but 3.5ish is a reasonable estimate to aim for. Should you OC the Q6600 I would expect a speed of something like 3.4 realistically. Higher is possible, but the chip really starts to get hot. And the deal breaker for me would be that the Q6600 is going to run about 25% more money than the P2 720.

Monitors I'm not amazing with, hopefully someone else can assist you there.

17. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Member Guru

GPU:
    I just checked Ebuyer, I can get the Phenom II 720 black edition for £120. Thanks for suggesting this. Can you suggest a good heatsink for it? One that would allow me to OC easily?

Also just how easy is it to OC to 3.4ghz with the processor you suggested? You said I could hit 3.4 to 3.6 for starters. That's higher than I imagined getting anyway and I'd be more than happy with it at that, I doubt I'll really need more. 3.8 - 4.2 is just insane (for me).

18. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Something like an arctic freezer pro

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/101471

19. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    Very! In fact this would be the easiest cpu for a beginner to overclock. Simply change the cpu multiplyer in the bios and bump up the cpu voltage as required and 3.5-3.6GHz no sweat.

20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    hey so i'm silly now. jesus u can be an offensive xxxx no? i suggested the intel build as an alternative so the op could see the diff and price. purely subjective because perhaps its helpfull to see 2 similar builds one amd and one intel next to each other? well it would help me...

i never said either way amd or nvidia. basically by a process of elimination the op can see that the phenom is better value for money.

no need to call people silly..

if it were my choice i'd probably still go intel but i would get a better chip than the q6600 but the op suggested a budget and i think he will like the phenoms. in fact they look pretty good and seem to oc well.

iarwain why does everything with u involve slagging people off? its not an amd/intel or ati/nvidia war all the time. all are good. in this case the amd is better bang for buck.

stop getting your knickers in a twist because someone suggested an intel or an nvidia build. can u not make a point without trolling someones post and putting them down?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009