Hellblade

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vejn, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Thanks. On that note. I'll pick it up this weekend for PC. Too many good things being said about it to skip over it.

2. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Finished last night.

Simply stunning, As its been said the main characters performance is one of the best ive ever seen.

3. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    2 things.

1. This game is the most refreshing departure from the cancerous forumaic games that have come out on the last few years and is graphically amazing.

2. What is the go with fullscreen. When I set it to fullscreen the msi overlay is the size as if I am running at 1080p on my 4k screen, only with windowed fullscreen does the overlay indicate it is actually running at 4k.

I have tried setting the resolution, setting and changing it. And nothing makes it seem as if it is running at the selected rea in fullscreen mode. Only windowed fullscreen.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm probably half way through but I'll give my 2c.

The game does a lot of things well, the atmosphere, sound design, lighting, are all extremely good - texturing/assets a little less-so but everything else makes up for it. The main character is honestly the best looking/designed/performed character I've probably ever seen in a game, ever. She just looks and feels real which is kind of incredible considering they basically built a make-shift motion capture stage in one of their offices.

The story, at least to where I am is pretty decent. I think the delivery of the story could have been improved - having to stop and listen to runes isn't the most fun design and all the different Norse regions sounding the same (so many *insert name*guards) doesn't help lol but getting background on the mythology is definitely neat.

The gameplay is a little repetitive for sure, especially the puzzles, but given it's length I think it will end before it becomes too annoying. I will say though, a lot of friends I know that bought the game went into it expecting a hack and slash similar to Ninja Theories previous games - if you're looking for that experience, you're going to have a bad time.

So far I really like it. For $30 it's already been worth it for me and I think the bigger takeaway is that as I get older I enjoy these types of "experience" games more and more - especially shorter ones. Abzu was another game recently that kind of blew me away - gameplay wise it's obviously nothing like Hellblade but the idea of having an extremely polished, short experience with good visuals and neat atmosphere has been tickling my fancy. I also feel like Ninja Theory deserves credit for going out and doing their own thing. In a sea of AAA sequels with relatively little innovation games like this get my respect, even if they do have some flaws.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    What's even more impressive, she had never acted before.
    Melina Juergens, who plays Senua, is Ninja Theory's video editor. And when they were casting, they had her stand in for Senua until they could find the right actress.

But, after time, they asked her to take on the role. And it was perfect. Her performance is incredible.

6. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    It was a great choice, I genuinely was having trouble today expressing to people how good a character Senua is.

The sound design in the game again, is incredible. It really makes it into something unique.
    Playing with a really good set of phones on just adds to the whole experience.

photo mode was a nice treat too, Took many pics.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Played a bit and I concur with what has been said, very immersive and well made game.

The combat is sort of For Honor / Dark Souls hybrid so not hack-and-slash like DmC or Heavenly Sword. I like it and it is easy to grasp quickly.
    Plus playing Dark Souls-style means you'll master the combat easily enough (don't button mash).

There's actually a nice bit of variation to attacks, you can chain light and heavy attacks, kick (=guard break) and do a running attack/kick. The dodge move is similar to Dark Souls, backstep or roll depending on what you do.

Parry can be followed up with a light, heavy or kick attack as well. Parry+heavy attack is kind of a finisher move (but doesn't necessarily kill your enemy).

I would have hoped the game had some sort of simple weapon upgrade or level up system but I can see it would deter the narrative experience in this case. Works better this way.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  8. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Played so more and I think I’m near the end, but got a bit frustrated with a long stretch where there was no fighting at all. Anyway, as I said before, the game is outstanding.

The combat does feel a bit like Dark Souls and is easy to master if you come from the souls series, but the key difference here is that you can cancel on a move. Staring an attack, noticing that you are gonna get hit and switching to a doge or parry, makes this quite a bit easier. And it does have weapon upgrade and character level up .. sort of.

9. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I'm sorry to hear that, but for me I didn't have single issue with frames (see my setup to the left). Just saying that if someone is considering the game and has a similar setup.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ah, thanks for the correction, played only the beginning part and thought there wasn't one.

Also good point about the move cancel, forgot to mention it. (I keep getting killed in Demon's Souls because the katana thrust takes so darn long to execute :D)

11. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Why is photo mode so dark?

Senua will have light on her face and as soon as you activate photo mode it's like bloom or god ray get turned off or turned down and the brightness goes down.

It is literally impossible to take a good screenshot because it doesn't look like it does when playing for that reason.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    If it's similar to how many other games implement Ansel then yes it will affect post-processing effects and certain other shaders, might also tweak other things such as LOD from what I remember from comparison images in games such as ME: Andromeda.

It's not immediately obvious outside of a direct comparison most of the time though especially for a viewer who might not have played the game at all and the ability to take very high resolution captures is pretty handy as is not having to rely on third party utilities for camera control and the like. :)

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I don't think I've ever seen a video game before with eyes this good, the water is also quite impressive.

14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ansel is bad

15. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I'm doing Odin's trials right now and I think I must be at least 8 hours in....playthrough time estimates were very underated.

My brain has been ceaselessly exploding from the artistic and graphical marvel that is this game.

The only way I could get clean screenshots is to just use msi screenshot instead of the in game tool that makes everything dark and blurry.

On and the lighting and water in this game is the best I've ever seen.

When you get to the boat wrecks on the beach. Go to the shoreline and watch the water roll in the way the water changes height and how the foam is only on top and crystal clear water underneath....it looks photorealistic.

Lota of games have high res clear water but the movement is fake. Also when you have a flaming torch and light a brazier or another torch; it doesn't do what every other game does which is magically generate 5 times the brightness and light radius of the exact same size torch you lit it from, it is totally natural lighting with realistic penetration into the darkness.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Got the game yesterday, maybe 2 hours in.
    Pretty good so far.

Too bad textures are very poor

17. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    Here is a temporary solution for AMD cards to fix a terrible performance at the Shipwreck and The Beast locations.

Create a shortcut for HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping

add to it either -USEAL****ILABLECORES -sm4 or -USEAL****ILABLECORES -dx10. The result will be the same.

Be aware, though, that graphics will look worse regardless of the in-game preset used. But it's for you to decide whether you want to play at 60-80 fps or at 20 fps at these two locations.

Graphics\fps comparison

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/114312

PS Thanx to 8Bobfish - PixelJudge.com

PPS Censoring -USEAL****ILABLECORES command? lol

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They wrote on twitter yesterday that they we're throwing together a bug fix patch. Hopefully it will be out soon and fix the AMD performance issues without any degradation in quality. Seems weird that AMD cards have a problem, considering it runs on an AMD card in PS4 - but I guess that's OpenGL.

19. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Can someone give me a TL;DR version of whether this is worth it or not, the price seems reasonable. Apparently the dialogues and visuals are outstanding.

Boredom has been hard on me, this should keep me occupied over the weekends.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    It's a great game that's half the price of most retail games.

Easily worth the 30.