1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hell Freezes Over: NV to support Open Variable Sync Jan 15

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Chastity, Jan 7, 2019.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    No I hear your advice and thanks for that.

2. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Well good news Radical :)

Out of interest, I wondered if Ultimate mode would perform any different. Maybe LFC doesn't work, but would Ultimate perform better? So I switched to Ultimate mode and fired up my fullscreen games.... I got a black screen, just as you noted.

Switching back to Standard, they work fine. So try Standard, and use CRU to set a wider range than 80-100. See how you go.

3. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    Well, I don’t get a black screen, it’s just the G-Sync indicator that wouldn’t turn on in regular fullscreen mode.

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix

5. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    It isn't.

It's very good at what it does and allows for more precise fine-tuning (non-integers) as well, but I own more than a handful of games in which RadeonPro's frame limiter gives better results (stricter frame times, less fluctuation). Too bad RadeonPro only accepts integers.

I'm not exactly sure what method RadeonPro uses and how it differs from RTSS, but it does. Keep in mind that the situation is reversed in many of my games as well - RTSS is the one that leads to more stable results in those, while RadeonPro fluctuates more.

A good example of the first scenario is Borderlands 2. On my brother's 980Ti, as well as on my old HD6950, both the in-game limiter and RTSS result in pretty sloppy frame timing (capped at 32fps@65Hz without v-sync looks sloppy - spiky frafs graphs ranging from 30.05 to 32.00 ms - the tearline moves both up and down and can't decide in what direction it wants to move, very unstable), while RadeonPro's fps limiter delivers super stable, precise and reliable results on the HD6950 (tearline calmly moves from top to bottom once a second in a predictable fashion, without hesitation, no matter what's going on in the game - completely flat line at 31.25 ms in frafs, as it should be).

This is probably of little help to someone on a more modern machine using Nvidia, although RadeonPro used to work just fine on an older GTX560 (gave some errors, but the program actually worked properly for the most part, despite it being written for Radeon cards). Haven't tested it with more recent Nvidia cards, and my brother can't be bothered to test it for me, since he doesn't care.

If you or someone else is feeling up to it, it might be worth testing out RadeonPro. Too bad RadeonPro is never included in any articles I read on fps timing, capping, G-Sync and Freesync, both here and on blurbusters (but understandable since it's old and abandoned software, and will probably even lead to problems on Windows 10).

Yeah, just adding my two cents. Game on!

6. artina90

artina90 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 Windforce 1.55Ghz
    Any idea as to why the LG UK6** series works but only if you set the dynamic freesync range via CRU?

7. Shataan

Shataan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 FTW3Ultra
    I hope they fix the broken DSR on my LG 34 ultrawide soon..... with the 417.71s.

8. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Im glad someone tested this - shame that your TV's scaler couldn't handle the change. I have a Samsung UE49KU6172 - which seems like a relative of the KU6000 series so im hoping I can get it working. First ill need an AMD card to verify Freesync is possible but getting it to work or even activated in the GeForce drivers also seems not possible atm.

Seems like alot of effort but I wouldnt be surprised it some monitors/TV's can pull it off.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Got the monitor (Asus VG278Q) set up and adaptive sync / Gsync works perfectly out of the box as it should.

Tried Division, Witcher 3, Dusk so far.
    The difference from 60 or 75 Hz to 144 Hz is quite substantial and VRR complements that nicely as not all games can maintain 144 fps obviously.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    RadeonPro uses a software limit, just like the nvidia driver fps limiter. This means that while it may in some scenarios deliver more stabile frametimes (although i haven't found this to be the case myself), it will do so at a much higher input latency.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/11/

CrunchyBiscuit likes this.

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Based on the broad distribution of generally positive results that this set of drivers has produced one might be inclined to declare this the smartest move Nvidia has ever made. It could well become a classic part of every Marketing 101 business class, right after the Osborne Computer example of what not to do. (Yes, I've actually used an Osborne back in the day.)

12. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    Thanks for your reply and the info.

Yeah, I read that article several times before already, but it's always nice seeing it linked again, as I feel this stuff should become common knowledge.

Shame I can't read anything specifically about RadeonPro's limiter, but heck, it will probably become irrelevant soon anyway, since it's completely abandoned. It's just that I have an old system and still use old software that I can compare RTSS to.

I wish there was one ultimate solution, as I would really like to ditch RP and only use RTSS (or in-game limiters) when I get a new system. I don't like being dependent on discontinued software.

13. skacikpl

skacikpl Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 8G
    Anyone knows whether the newest driver solves issues with monitors failing to sync correctly (including even the approved ones)?
    AFAIK NVIDIA is aware of the issue and could reproduce it so i wonder whether they already pushed out a fix.

14. thehurtmaster

thehurtmaster New Member

GPU:
    420M GT / 1024 MB
    You mean jutter/ghosting? If so, no. That wasn't solved. Just had it.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    New drivers solved my issue with driver losing monitor timings, and having to reset driver or off/on monitor to fix.

AsiJu likes this.

16. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LG 27" 4K UHD 5ms GTG IPS LED FreeSync Gaming Monitor (27UD59P-B.AUS)
    I can also confirm Nvidia driver 418.81 fixed timing issue with Freesync monitor and added Ansel to hundreds of games.
    OK WTF is going on at Nvidia fixing things and improving there own features.Good job Nvidia.

EDIT: Feb 07 2019.I was playing with some mods on Kingdom Come Deliverance game today and have seen flashing in game,so I was wrong not completely 100% fixed.

Edit:Feb 08 2019 I need to correct myself again.
    The driver is actually fine and it was user error.
    I adjusted my Freesync range too low for my monitor to handle the new driver.I changed from 33-61 to 35-61 and all it working great after about 20 different games tested. Cryengine seemed to be the best games to test the freesync range.

Nvidia Driver 418.81

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    AsiJu likes this.
  17. skacikpl

skacikpl Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 8G
    Already getting mixed reports lol.

18. artina90

artina90 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 Windforce 1.55Ghz
    My newly bought 27UK650 is stable all the way down to 25 fps, there is no flashing or tearing between 25-59 fps.
    At 60 fps and above you get tearing, I tried to limit the fps to 58 but, as the other users reported, the limit is not perfect.
    I settled with running freesync+vsync for now.

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    To clarify, I just had to reset my monitor to fix hitching GSync, so it isn't fixed. Meh.