Hell Freezes Over: NV to support Open Variable Sync Jan 15

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Chastity, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Just set things up with my Samsung 4K UE510, CRU edit to 32-60 fps range, RTSS capped at 57.986. All is working. :) on gtx1070 Mobility

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    mmmm with only a rtss fps cap at 143fps don't work for me, but if i use also v-snyc with the fps cap at 143fps free sync works fine without mouse lag

4. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    One thing that is annoying about this whole thing is that everytime someone who has traditional gsync ( me for example ) All im getting on tech groups on facebook is " ha you got ripped off, bet you're pissed etc " Everytime I ask how its running. Its the same as if you own a 2080ti people see your opinion as immediately invalid.

I can't be arsed with the whole green team vs red team, its like a kids console war. I've had my panels since they launched, I've more than got my moneys worth out of them.

But what this is good for all those involved, it could open up tons of options for people especially as more and more models are tested.
    The more people that can use it the better. Im hoping it works on my dads monitor as I'm giving him one of the 1080ti's ive got left.

Curious to one thing though, does anyone think that freesync panels could rise in price now?

Maddness likes this.

5. sean8102

sean8102 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Well I was quite happy when I saw this news. My new monitor (Acer CB271HU) supports Adaptive-Sync/Freesync and I was bummed about not being able to make use of it. After the driver update the G-sync option appeared and I was able to enable with no problem at all. Have it set to "Enabled for fullscreen and windowed mode" and everything works fine.

[​IMG]

No artifacts or flickering of any kind. It seems the sync range is 40 to 75 Hz. It was not a advertised feature of the monitor either so this whole thing has been a great surprise. Just curious but dose that 40 to 75 range mean the monitor behaves the same as it would with no v-sync when it drops below 40 FPS and start tearing? I haven't gotten my framerate that low yet while testing so not sure.

Warning to anyone that checks out this monitor now though, Acer seems to have removed features in the currently shipping ones. No 10 bit per pixel color support anymore, and according to newer reviews it no longer supports 75 Hz at 1440p out of the box and requires a "overclock" of the monitor to support ,and they said they can't get freesync to work so that probably is a no go now on newly manufactured ones (mine was bought early Sept last year). Kinda sleezy of them to just take that away during manufacturing with no heads up for new buyers. When you search the net for that model you find comments talking about those features that they simply removed from the model at some point after launch.

6. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2060 6Gb
    G-sync Ultimate certified ones were always going to be expensive.
    Both old G-sync (custom module) and G-sync Compatible ones might rise a bit. The Compatibles might see a sudden increase in demand (and the merchants will try taking advantage by increasing their profit margins). The custom Gsync (but not Ultimate) will become even mode of a niche market but now the pressure will be somewhat released (the manufacturers will be free to put as much of a premium on the price as they see fit, people won't compare the premiums so much to the nominal module/license fee, since those kind of people who care about that will probably pick module-less monitors anyways).
    The price of old FreeSync ones (without the Compatible certification) should not react much (may be a tiny bit if this whole Gsync thing increases the general demand for a short time but I don't see people rushing to replace their displays).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Just sold my 165Hz G-sync 2560 x 1440 screen for a good price and paid for my 4K 60 Hz IPS Freesync screen.Thanks again Nvidia.

8. Warboy

Warboy Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
    Using a 1070 Ti, W10 1809, and a PX347c Prime, I have no monitor technology. Freesync is enabled in the monitor's settings.

9. yobooh

yobooh Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 @1500mhz
    No maxwell support even if it has 1.4 DP it's really a joke!
    We know very well it's the only hardware thing needed for the tech to work!!!

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    We all know by now that the decision to support Maxwell, or not in this case, is a more business drive one than technological. I could imagine that Nvidia could at some point enable it for the 900 cards as well, since I wouldn't have thought they'd support Freesync to begin with. Maybe they just want to test it for now? Who knows... but I guess it's easy to imagine that Nvidia doesn't want you to do this with a Maxwell card, but hoping that you'd buy a Turing card by now, or a Pascal card off their full shelves :D

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Maxwell support may still happen. It depends on the amount of testing which they have to perform to enable it. Kepler support is highly unlikely though.

12. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Has anyone had any luck with enabling FreeSync via CRU on a non supported monitor and then enabling GSYNC in NV settings?

13. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Enabling freesync via CRU?

The majority of posters in the 417.71 thread (and this one) have unsupported freesync monitors and were able to enable it, myself included. CRU was only used to increase the freesync range. In my case my monitors widest range was 40-60hz but by using CRU I was able to increase that to 35-60hz. Just use the Pendulum demo to check your lower limits for artifacts.

14. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    I also confirm that GSync Compabilty working perfectly fine on my LG 29UM67 FreeSync monitor. 75Hz no frame skipping, gsync works from 40-75hz, on my GTX 1070
    I am glad for unlocking full potential 75hz on my monitor finally I can increase my gaming experiance.
    NVIDIA implemented AMD's ace in the hole, with is very interesting and unpredicted move + its in fact working from day-1 from implementation without any issues.
    Hooah!

Monitor specification:
    https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/7d226cd

Stormyandcold likes this.
  15. dexterav

dexterav Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 2080Ti
    nvidia make good step ...
    i have FS monitor buying only amd, well after this ,i have FS maybe i buy NV after all :D
    working well i supose , some friend try and almost 80% working without error only sometimes need little more playing with setup

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    just be aware, that the checkbox at the bottom is only intended for the 12/400 qualified displays, the one you have has no actual display specific settings in the driver.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Maxwell has a displayport 1.2 controller, not 1.2a.

no amount of firmware updates can add circuit support for the feature.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    1.2a officially added eDP adaptive sync support only as far as the specs are concerned and as far as we know this may be a purely software feature - especially for the h/w which has support for Gsync since day zero.

19. JohnLai

JohnLai Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Actually, the kepler (650ti boost onwards) and maxwell already support the necessary requirement of displayport 1.2a.

Kepler supported VESA Adaptive Sync mechanism long before DP1.2a standard itself was finalised.

Think of it as WIFI 802.11N Draft and certified WIFI 802.11N situation.

dr_rus likes this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thats pure assumption, no specification made available shows the kepler or maxwell parts supporting more than 1.2.