Hell Freezes Over: NV to support Open Variable Sync Jan 15

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Chastity, Jan 7, 2019.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    When you run the tool it says its 1.4 I think. Well if you read closely it says it updates to that so you can have 1.3-1.4 features. And as extra it fixes those said issues.

So I think this is it. ;)

2. mordan

mordan Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080SC ACX3
    Well, I'm running an EVGA GTX 1080, and also own an ACER ED273A 144Hz Freesync monitor. I'd hate for any of those issues depicted on the video to be present tbh... Bold claim from NV to say that with a Radeon card you get the same issue with that curved monitor in the end, anyone can confirm this? (PC World vid from CES coverage).

Stormyandcold likes this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Based on that video, whatever issues that would exist with a monitor using GSync Compatible would also exist if using FreeSync on AMD. Since I know my Samsung performed well with FreeSync, I should expect the same experience.

My big question will be whether it will work on notebook solutions using mini-DP out.

Maddness likes this.
  4. blackdragonbird

blackdragonbird Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    Still, the driver need to allow it for 900 series even if this patch add 1.4 support for it. Maybe it is coded only for 1000 series up.

I'm holding my breath and maintaining my expectations very low to avoid frustration.

If it work in 900 series, superb, if not, well, life goes on.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Not really upset myslef, just putting it out there it's just a marketing stunt.

Btw yeah it will be auto enabled for those cards, but older & on monitors not "certified " you have to enable it manually, just like dsr or hbao or mfaa or fast sync,..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Yes, the driver will need to allow the new G-sync modes. But I don't think the driver ever restricted the display output capabilities in any ways.
    The firmware update was needed because the hardware was released before it could have undergone all the final compliance tests to find any possible problems. (And it turned out there were problems, although only from the kind which were possible to solve in firmware.)
    But I think DP 1.4 features already worked after the driver was loaded. The only issue was with booting the OS (and subsequently load the driver). The motherboard (the one with the CPU socket) might refused to boot the OS when it detected problems with the display. Or may be it booted just fine, except you couldn't see the "POST" screen or the "Setup" screen (and sometimes it's practically impossible to get a new system running without visiting the Setup at some point).

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Jan 15 is not getting here fast enough...

8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I thought you had a Vega card

9. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    It was about time, if nvidia is really the king of gpus, then all monitors no mather what sync tech they use should bow to the king.

sorry for the bad analogy

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I have a 390 desktop card and a gtx1070 laptop. My desktop setup is mostly retired at this point.

Maddness likes this.

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Oh wow, I can't wait. My monitor is getting an "upgrade" to GSYNC Ultimate tomorrow! o_O

12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Could someone recap how to enable Gsync? All I've used for a decade now was a framerate limiter.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    set frame cap to maxfps-3 with VSync enabled in driver (w/o VSync is optional, YMMV in regards to quality) Disable VSync in game.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  14. GregJA

GregJA Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 TI
    So im assuming Nvidia must be releasing a new driver tomorrow? and either in the control panel or geforce experience will be the "toggle" where we can find out how incompatible most monitors are? lol

15. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Gimme the drivers, I want to test BF5 new update with my 75Hz freesync Ultrawide 2K monitor with fluid gameplay. (Or at least I hope so its gonna work properly, but its ehh, Nvidia so.....but still finger crossed)

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    fluidz and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I installed the new driver but i don't get the G-sync tab in NVCP, i assume that's because i cannot enable freesync on my Samsung C24FG73 without GPU having it enabled first so i'm stuck at no-entry loop.

Outstanding-move.nvidia-meme

Edit: Scratch that, there are some shenaningans not mentioned in the monitor manual.
    You can use either freesync or the resonse time option but not both.

Also as another footnote, from my experience and someone else from reddit it seems that Pendulum demo is not very reliable test for this.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes you have to disable that fastest lag thingy then you can chose free sync modes.

I have the same monitor and to be honest that low lag thing is overrated. I barely use it as it is. Also it makes dimmer picture because of that light strobe - which kind of defeats the purpose of flicker free monitor. This strobing brings back that said flicker.

Imo faster is good enough, if it were just a 60hz monitor then yeah it would be very handy no doubt. :)

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Just set things up with my Samsung 4K UE510, CRU edit to 32-60 fps range, RTSS capped at 57.986. All is working. :) on gtx1070 Mobility

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.