Heavy lag, system interrupts, high DPC and IRS spikes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by amadeok, Feb 7, 2016.

1. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb
    Hello,
    Thanks for support.
    For the past two months or so i have been having heavy lag during games, every time task manager shows system interrupts and system using 10% more or less of cpu and causing heavy mouse and performance lag and sometimes audio lag as well. I run WPR and it shows high DPC and IRS spikes related to the nvidia and directx drivers, as well as usbxhci.sys and usbport.sys. Recently i bought a new PSU wich seems too have improved the situation but it still happens from time to time.

Hardware:
    i5 3470
    Asus P8H61-MX USB3
    8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
    2TB Barracuda HDD Seagate
    Seasonic s12ii 620W
    GTX 970 MSI gaming 4g

Things i tried:
    Drivers: 358.50, 358.91, 361.60, 361.75(all uninstalled using DDU)
    Switching to windows 10
    unplugging frontal usb ports
    reseating the card and blowing air into the pci-e slot
    disable nvidia shield streaming service
    formatting hard drive completely

Other things that have been happening:
    Always in the boot screen i see little blue dots, one or two pixels big.
    please help

2. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Hi,
    First I would try to boot pc with integrated GPU only (remove GTX970) to see if those dots disappear. Also boot with only 1 stick of ram.

From windows enable high performance in power options and add this to cmd "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes", it's a power saving feature, and remove any usb 3 drivers if you have any installed, see if you have those spikes again.

The 2nd thing is to update mobo bios.

3. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb
    Thanks for reply,
    I booted without the 970 and the dots did not apear, then i put the 970 back in and i tried each RAM stick on each slot and the dots still apeared. I did the power options you said.
    You mean the mobo's bios? MSI updating utility said that both the graphics card and motherboard's bios are up to date.
    i will be testing it right now
    edit: i misstyped with with without, i meant that i without the 970, the dots did not apear. sorry
    what do you mean by usb3 driver?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Your mobo has an ASMedia USB3 ASM1042 controller, I thought you installed separate drivers for it.

If the card makes those dots, you should test it on other system, just to be sure.

5. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb
    Yes i had, but i dont at the moment, still the problem persists. Once i connected a 3.0 external HDD to the 3.0 port and the HDD stopped working completely. Could it be connected? Maybe just bad card?

6. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Do you remember in what circumstances did your system become unstable?
    Did you changed/installed anything two months ago when the problem started?

Besides GPU, do you have any other internal cards installed (soundcard, tv-tuner etc)?
    You can try to reset bios and also disable that usb 3 controller.

When you experience heavy lag in games and audio issues, does your hdd led stays on? (check SMART status).

7. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb
    No i dont really remember. I used to have an another video card then i bought this new one, after a while problem started.
    A half an hour ago i uninstalled the usb roots i didnt need, one 2 and other 3, and i tried a game and although system interrupts was present and eating cpu as usual there wasnt nearly as much lag as i ussualy have. Just a moment ago strange glitch started happening:
    htt p://postimg.org/image/vwe76vdu7/
    htt p://postimg.org/image/ydv0b9427/
    im putting space otherwise it wont allow me to post the images
    thanks again for your support
    edit: strangely, my leds seem to always the same status, green

8. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Artefacts usualy appear when there is a probem with gpu, but it could also be from bad psu, although sesonic is a good manufacturer and you also had the same problem with other psu.
    I sugest you get another gpu card to test on your system or take your gpu and test it somewhere else.

9. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb
    Ill see to it.
    I run a couple of stress tests and the gpu is ok not past 71 degrees but the cpu strangely up to 88 degrees, could this be the problem?
    edit: i just ran both the cpu and gpu stress test at the same time and i noticed that the gpu load doesnt stay at 100%, rather stays at 30-50%, what does this mean?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  10. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Temperature is one of the main problem of GPU artefacts, but it's not the only one, it could also be a memory problem or even a gpu core issue. You should test it for artefacts with benchmark software like 3DMark or Furmark and you look closely for strange dots, lines, everything that shouldn't be there.

That cpu temp is high, even if you test it with Prime95 or IntelBurnTest, it shouldn't be that high, while gaming it should not reach 65 degrees with stock cooler.

My cpu (i5 3470) temp stays between 25-30 in idle and 60-65 in games like The Witcher 3.

You could also test your psu, download HWMonitor and look at +12V value. While in idle, it should stay between 12 and 12.6 (+5% standard atx deviation), closer to 12 is ideal, in load (gaming) it should not go below 11.4, again 5% deviation.

I'm not sure about that load balance, what software did you use?

11. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb

I dont know why the cpu temp is so high i reseated the cooler many times. I did apply thermal paste, not that much though. the Asus suite sensor software detects 50 degrees, but other programs like real temp, hw monitor and core temp always record 10-15 degrees more. i dont have the 12v reading in HWmonitor but the Asus sensor software detected always not less than 11.8v during stress test and 12 always at idle. A few days back i did see some artifacts while playing but was only for a couple of days. Just now i tested with FurMark xtreme burn-in 4x msaa for 20 minuts i didnt see any artifact. Today the glitch of the violet lines and dots from yesterday is gone. For tests im using IntelBurnTest 2.5.4 and FurMark 1.9.2
    A while ago i heard a high pitch sound that i thought to be cool while, but it only did it i think 2 times. Could this be of any relevance?

12. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Go into bios and check your cpu temp over there, I use AIDA64 for temp readings, cpu temp (tcase) is lower than core temp (Tjunction) by 10 degrees in idle, the core temp can go up to 105 if I am corect (for i5 3470), while the tcase is about 67.5 according to intel.

Coil whine however is a different story, it can appear when a component (mobo VRM, PSU or GPU) is under heavy load, or it is permanent because lower build quality (although even expensive gpu/psu can have permanent whine).

I once put an 9800GTX+ on a chieftec 360W psu with a core2duo and a few hdd attached, while it worked, the coil whine was loud and clear :D, if I kept running like that, the psu whould have "died".

And I've powered the same system with a no name "750W" psu (it had 4x8pin molex for sli/cf, 6xsata cables on it, what a joke) and kept the system running for about 1 min before colapsing.

The coil whine disappeared when I took that gpu out or if I helped the system by adding a 2nd psu just to power the gpu 2x6 pin, so in my case that coil whine appeared from overloading the psu.

Anyway, if those 50 degrees are measured in idle then it is not normal, you should have something between 35-40 and that is core temp, cpu temp is even lower.

[​IMG]

13. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb
    actually its 55 degrees during stress test and 33 idle, according to the asus software, core temp still reads 86 degrees

14. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Those temps are fine in load, core temp can reach up to 105 (+/-), then the cpu will start to throttle and cause lag and performance degradation.

15. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb
    Hi again,
    I tested the pc with a r7 250 for 4 days without any lag or dps and irs spikes. I think I'll send it for replacement.

Edit:
    Today i went away for a while and when i came back the screen was black. The keyboard was still responding. it was the only problem i've had so far with this vga. Had to restart pc through button

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

16. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    The black screen issue happened to me in Win 8.1 and 10, the monitor would not turn on after entering sleep. Not sure what cause it, I've disabled monitor sleep and never had an issue since.

17. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb
    Thanks for reply,
    So you think if the problem was the motherboard i would still be having lag and performance problems with the r7 250?

18. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    If it was the mobo, then yes, it should have caused problems. The GTX 970 you have should not display any dots or other artefacts whatsoever.

19. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    try vulkan new driver. next time avoid MSI. i think yr VRM is over-heating so try RMA if still under warranty. try yr gpu on other cpu.

20. amadeok

amadeok Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4gb
    Hello,
    you mean try vulkan driver with the 970 or the r7 250? Yes its in warranty. Wow i thought msi was good brand. Wich one would you reccomend? I dont really have another computer but i can still send it for RMA, if the card is not defective they will charge but not so much.