Heatsinks & Thermal Grease.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ShadowMyth, Nov 5, 2009.

1. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Is it worth the effort to remove factory heatsinks & apply new thermal grease? I was contemplating whether or not take apart a GTX 275 & remove a NB heatsink to apply some aftermarket thermal grease. Will it make a noticable difference?

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Is it worth the effort? I'd say yeah. Is it worth possibly voiding the warranty? Not so much.

3. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    I'd do it for the NB heatsink if its been heating up a lot lately. The nForce chipsets are notorious for running hot, so if you don't have any spare TIM laying around, you could just strap a small fan to it that would help cool it down better. I need to do it with mine personally, its running way too hot for my liking. For the video card, it depends on if you feel like the TIM is getting old or the temps are too hot from what they were when you first got the card.

Btw, overclocking voids the warranty just the same as removing the stock heatsink. Some companies don't mind if you overclock, but the majority do and the warranty is void the instant you overclock. Just fyi.

4. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    Unless its running exceptionally hotter than other similar gpus with the same stock heatsink i wouldnt bother..

Theres been some cases with nvidia NBs that needed to be reseated with proper grease to bring temps down from 70C+ to the normal 40c range..

But was mostly due to bad mounting..

I'd say.. unless your bothering to go for an aftermarket cooler it propably wont be needed.. but i can recommand taking off the plastic cover on most gpu coolers today to remove dust from the cooler itself.. usually stores a nice bit of dust inside that shell.. :p

5. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i did it to mine and its a piece of pi$$ to do on a gtx 275. my gtx 260 was a nightmere with that fully shrowed heatsink. because of how easy it is i would say its worth doing, altho the tim used on my card did look half decent but they had used to much (prolly a friday afternoon job lol). i also trimed the thermal pads on the ram so there was no excess.