heatsink for 6800 GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Daftshadow, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    i ilde around 61C. i dont oc my card. it's kind of concerning me. although the temp never goes above 90C when playing games like HL2 for hours. it usually tends to hover around mid 80s.

what's a really good heatsink for my vid card? i still have the stock cooling on it and it doesnt really do a good job keeping it cool. price doesnt really matter, just something below $50.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  2. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    artic cooling's NV5 worked wonders for my BFG and it was 24 bucks. My max load temps went down from 90C to 70-72C

3. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    your ok at 80c if you notice no change in performance. if you want to lower the temps free up a second slot below your card , when i did this my temps dropped 10c.

4. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    i did get a slight performace improvement when i got the NV5 (not much) but the card is 72C max with "Real-Time High-Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting" wich heats up the card more than any game out there.

5. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    i have an evga 6800gt and i bought their copper heatsink from the website to replace the aluminium cooler i had. it knowcked 10 degrees C off my tmps.

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    i get around 56-59 idle/full load with my nu and it is oc quite abit does this heatsink you guys are talking about fit the 6800 nu's???

7. poy

poy Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800OC | 16pp,6vp
    it fits all 6800's

8. Dil-Tech

Dil-Tech Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 4850 1gb
    Read my thread, it'll knock 7C off quickly, and for $10.

9. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    i never installed a custom cooler on a vid card before. is it easy or difficult?

dominant1, there is no performance change when it is around 80C. i already freed up 3 pci slots below the card. i think i am just going to get the NV5 cooler, because i dont my card heating up like crazy when summer comes around :eek:

10. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    If you can change a door knob you can change a heat sink.

11. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    Very easy on a BFG GT OC only have to take out 4 screws and the NV5 installs the smae way. Should take you about 5 min to take off the stock cooler, clean off the old paste, and re-apply the new one.

12. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    I got artifacting on my bfg 6800gt at stock everything.
    Is the bfg's custom coller bad?
    Or is it becasue hot air in the pci area gets trapped by the custom cooler?
    my AMBIENT was in the 60's c by the time i shut down the game and got to the nvidia control panel. (that is after it has cooled off some). idle ambient is at mid 40's

is the only advantage for the nv5 vs bfg's custom, is that the nv5 pushes hot air out of the case?

Perhaps we can find a way of getting hot air out of the pci area. Instead of resorting to changing the heatsink.

13. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    if you have a 60C ambient that is way to hi in my eyes, even 45C ambient is pretty hi. What type of case cooling do you have? seems to me that you need better air flow in your case, The NV5 does help lower your case temp but i dont know about it helping you that much since your case temps are so hi

14. bluemoogle

bluemoogle Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260
    its not just the vid card hsf, but other things like ventilation in the case and number of case fans that affect overall performance(including ocing)

if you don't have the proper air flow thru the case, even the very best aftemarket fan won't help you.

15. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    i think the ambient sensors aren't that great on these cards. mine reads 53C ambient even when my mobo one says 30C. in fact not too sure where the ambient sensor is on my card - maybe they put it next to the power regulators? cos they get fairly warm

16. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    your motherboard and videocard sensors are far apart...
    yes one area of the computer can be hotter than the other.

yes i know my ambient is too high. its because the bfg's heatsink spits the hot air out into the pci area and it just sits there.

i need to know how to fix that. any suggestions about circulating the air in the pci slot area?
    I think this is probably the biggest problem for pple getting 60+ idle and 80+ load temps on thier bfg gt oc. its not a heatsink problem. its a circulation problem.

so i ask you guys. what is the easist way to get air out of the pci slot area?

I believe my case temps are high becasue of my videocard... if the heat the videocard produced was pushed out of the back instead of back into case i believe it could darastically reduce case temps... but the bfg's heatsink doesnt do this. and i don't want to replace it with one that does, so i need help :(

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  17. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    received nv5 silencer today, newegg really ships fast, anyway, installed it on my card and it knocked down about 10 degrees (69C down to 59C). even my mobo temp went down about 8 degrees. now when i play games, the temp never goes above 75C. before, it used to go high as 90C. i use riva tuner to monitor the temps during gaming so it's correct.

18. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    nuff said. and i thought the ambient temp the vid control panel was taken from the mobo readung because my both ambients are always identical

19. akaotikpnoy

akaotikpnoy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY VERTO 6800 ULTRA Drivers:67.03
    I was wondering if I should get an NV5. Right now my temperatures are pretty good at 55C idle 63C load. I know some people run lower temps and I was wondering if it would make a difference at all.

20. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    Here is one solution for circulating air in the PCI area CARD FAN
    I've never used one of those and hear they are quite noisy, hence the Cyclone moniquer.

This is another option SLOT FAN

Now I've heard these really don't do too much except for the cards above and below them.

One sloution I have used in the past is drilling a 3in hole in my left side case right above the AGP card and put a 80mm fan blowing directly on it. This can be done for almost nothing if you have a spare 80mm fan and a Dremel.