Heat vs. performance

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by lagrafx, Aug 21, 2003.

1. lagrafx

lagrafx Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5200
    I'm new to overclocking.

If my core cpu temp gets up to 65 or 70C...

1. have i damaged my chip?

2. should i expect an actual SLOWDOWN in performance as temp goes up?

i have an Athlon XP 2600+, trying to run it at 13.5x 166mhz bus, 1.85v.

i have the stock fan, any suggestions would be appreciated.

does a 10 degree drop in temp really help performance?

2. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    65 or 70c wont damage the chip but its running too hot for everyday use, buy a new hs and f to replace the stock ones. as for your other questions, i dont know the answer as i dont overclock anything apart from gfx card, YET!

3. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    is 65 or 70 load temps? ( doin something stressfull or bench marking) either way its too hot..but if those are when your computer is at Idle then when its got a Load on it :O its gona be way too hot..

1: I dont think you damaged it(is your computer booting? :) ) but you should look into a new Heatsink and fan if your OC'n things for sure.

2: I would think yes cuz when it gets hotter, its getting closer to instability ..but I dont know if it would be a slow down..

becarefull also running 1.85v on vcore isnt a good thing with a STOCK heatsink..

THunDA

4. lagrafx

lagrafx Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5200
    ok, i'm gonna try what i've found out is the usual first course...drop multiplier to 11 or so and up the fsb to 200mhz and up the multiplier from there.

now if i do this....do i need to up the vcore from the default 1.65 or do i need to bump up the v. to the memory only?

i'm running one PC3200 512mb 400mhz chip

5. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    well 11*200 would be cool..and you *might* be able to run that at stock vcore.My 2400xp was at 11*200 with stock vcore but im trying something else now .What are your ram timings? and is your mobo a nforce2 ? do you have good brand ram?

Thunda

ps..you might wana add some extra info in your sig ..its easier than askn ;)

edit... also start at stock vcore and up the multi with fsb at 200 then if you up the multi and it doesnt boot or you get instability then up the vcore ..BUT WATCH TEMPS ..I WOULDNT LET IT GET TO 60-70..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2003
  6. lagrafx

lagrafx Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5200

ok, i'll be adding to my profile on the right as i learn what stats i need to show everyone for help...

my mobo is nforce2 yes.
    RAM brand is probably not that good, got it on sale. and i don't know the RAM timings, but i could find them...give me an example so i know what i'm looking for?

I'll go grab a monster fan too because even at stock 1.65v it's idling at 55-56C so that i think should be on there no matter what.

7. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    the ram timings are gona be in bios somewhere.. usually there is selections like 6-2-2-2 ,7-3-3-2.. I dont know about your specific mobo so im not sure exactly where they are but usually they are on the page for chipset options..But if there is a setting for ram\memory latency that can be set to STD then choose that ...its not gona be the fastest setting but at least it will prevent you from setting them too aggressive for now ;)
    And yes you need a fan ..a new heatsink would prolly do ya good too..

THunda

8. sailor

sailor Maha Guru

GPU:
    x1800xt & x1600xt
    If you clock to high and get overheating then the internal protection will issue stop commands to pull the temp down, doing this obviously reduces the performance but does of course help a bit in chip protection.

9. lagrafx

lagrafx Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5200
    yeah, i'm familiar with these in the BIOS Thunda. i can set this to STD...should i change the 6-2-2-2, 7-3-3-2 type settings??

heatsink i'll grab with the fan....should get separate thermal paste right?

10. lagrafx

lagrafx Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5200
    is that the cpu thermal throttling setting in the BIOS?

sets to like 'off', 50%, 75%, etc?

is that maybe what's slowing me way down???

i turned the setting to 'off'.

btw it's a brand new FCI board so i think the BIOS is current...Phoenix Award. i'll check for the version.

11. sailor

sailor Maha Guru

GPU:
    x1800xt & x1600xt
    You can turn it off but remember it's there for a reason so beware!
    It would be easiest to get a decent, not necassarily the most expensive, cooler and then it won't need to throttle and you won't need to worry.

I'd recommend arctic silver ceramique as it is a superb performer and, as it's non conductive, safe.