Heat sensor tab...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vf, Dec 9, 2003.

1. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I don't see any thread's for this and was wondering is there not a heat sensor display for the Radeon XT's like there is on GeForce FX drivers, as i do not see one on the Cat 3.9's. I do remember reading about that but cannot remember where... i was so sure i seen it on Hilbert's review for the XT or maybe it was somewhere else.

2. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    its not there.
    heat sensor is to detect the overheating as told by ATI for its overdrive feature only.
    but i think its crap. How the hell everyong who use overdriver gets the clock speed of 415 or 418? i think overdrive is programmed just to set the clock to 418 nothing else.
    I have seen people using extreme cooling still overdrive wont go pass 418.
    I have started to wonder if there is any sensor on this board....
    why wouldnt they do it? i dont know :rolleyes:
    maybe they dont want people to know the temperaturesof card :p
    I used probe thermometer and after 6 fans blowing air onto this its at 70C full load.

3. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I wont be using overdrive, as far as the heat the Radeon's are definately cooler compared to FX cards. Perhaps the reason why it wont go any further than 418 is .15 process? maybe ATi's have gone as far as they can on this, perhaps the next batch of cards the clocks will be pushed further.

4. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    I can run mine at 440/390 100% stable and 450/400 with 90% stability.
    I am gona go watercooling soon when i get my ordered Ramsinks :D

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I managed to build Dual FlowFX with 2x 80mm fans blowing on other side (yeah i said this many times hehe) of the graphic card. The temperature falled from almost 40-42°C to 29°C (Gigabyte R9600 Pro has its own hardware sensor -> V-Tuner software). So the clocks are changed from stock 400/300 (400/600 DDR) to 500/350 (500/700 DDR) and the temperature is still the same.

And i don't see the point of OverDrive!? Changing JUST core speed doesn't give almost no boost (even if you clock it for 50 or 100MHz),but overdrive changes it only for 18MHz!?!? WTF!? Why did the impliment this in the first place? I mean all R9600 Pro cards can be safely clocked from 400MHz (VPU) to 500MHz with no stability problems and image distortions...