Heat Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kevinhobson2000, Apr 20, 2006.

1. kevinhobson2000

kevinhobson2000 Member

Hi All

I have an issue with my Geforce 6800 GT Card the last couple of months it has started to exceed the core temp threshold and is underclocking itself. Ive mover the soundcard to the furthest away slot and have cleaned the cooler to no avail. The temps are on idle 56 ambient 81 gpu core anyone have any suggstions?

Cheers

Kev

2. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    the fan sounding alright?

hows the airflow around the card now, i mean from the fan btw like is it doing anything

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    56 ambient? its ure case i think

have you any fans in ure case what so ever?

4. milsvaard

milsvaard Member Guru

GPU:
    2GB DDR2
    56c idle and 80c on full load is what i get too but its never gone over the threshold. well here were i live is very hot so i expect my card to run hotter than most ppl. if you say that the card is underclocking itself than there is a problem, probably fan related.

5. kevinhobson2000

kevinhobson2000 Member

Well both side are off the case the fan on the card seems to sound ok but no there are no case fans in the case this has only started happening the last few months though and the case has been like this for years.

Kev

6. kevinhobson2000

kevinhobson2000 Member

Millsvaard i have had my suspicions that the fan on the card is failing it seems the only logical explanation.

7. Grivin06

Grivin06 Guest

Remove the HSF ,re-apply a thermal compound ,and re-mount the HSF make sure the GPU and the HSF are well touched.

8. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    you need fans in your case. just because the sides are off doesn't mean air is flowing.. unless you have a housefan pointed at it, it simply is not moving.

9. Khoa Do Xuan

Khoa Do Xuan Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GTX 590@1900 HR-03 plus
    The temp of your room? My room's 32, the temps are on idle 62 ambient 75 gpu core in 3DMark. But every 30 seconds the card reachs 126 in 1/10s. :frown:

10. Khoa Do Xuan

Khoa Do Xuan Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GTX 590@1900 HR-03 plus
    My card is 6800 Ultra

11. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080TI/1080TI/VEGA

aaa your the dude with the made in china card that you don't have an svideo and only one DVI ...

THE ANSWER is in that card ... where did you buy that card ?

12. wolf68k

wolf68k Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS 256MB AGP 400
    Wait a second, your room is 32C (89.6F).
    The ambient temp of the card is 62C
    While the core is 75C

I'm only repeating this to make sure I've got this right.

If I did infact get all of this right, the problem is the fact that your room is an oven. How can you breath in a room that hot?
    Get your room down to a human level of around 70-75F (21-23.8C) and the card's temps will drop down too.

I'm not sure even an Arctic-Cooling Silencer can help you much there.

13. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    I´d start by adding some fans to the case. If your case does not allow that, get a new case, preferably one with two fans on the side and one or two on the back. Here´s a picture of the model I´m using: http://www.overhard.com.ar/website/detalle.asp?id=1077

Put both lateral fans blowing inside and the back fan as an extractor. They should reduce your temperature a lot.