heat problem with 2 gtx 260 in sli set up

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by studabakahawk, Feb 6, 2010.

1. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Master Guru

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    Hi Gurus,
    I have just out 2 GTX 260 onto my ASROCK M\B problem is they sit so close together the inside one GPU 1 is running at about 6 degrees hotter than GPU 2.
    I am currently attempting to get some sort of fan arangement to force air in between the 2 cards. Im talking like 43 (gpu1) and 37(gpu2) temps at idel and around 57\51 under load in like COD5 or Tomb Raider :Underworld. no biggie but I want to get them to even out anyone have similar heat issues and come up with a solution. Im looking for Air solution only,by the way.
    Ill fix it with homemade fans and channeling type duct set up.
    This M\B im using has 2 very close 16x16 set up so any one whos got a solution to this set up im all ears.

2. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    To reduce the temperature difference try and clean the heat sink / fan & re-assemble them.....you should see a difference....also try and adjust a fan that blows cold air onto the 2 VGAs.....also to tell you the truth, since the 1st GPU is blowing hot air on to the 2nd GPU; the 2nd GPU will still be a bit more hotter than the 1st GPU since there is no air blowing on to the 1st GPU.

3. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    Those temperatures under load are very good....no worries at all with those temps.

4. studabakahawk

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    Roger that in regards to temps,ive been tweaking my case and fan set up for months, I have taken a twin fan (older Antec cooler) and put together a duct to force air in between the 2 gpu's. as its very close quaters.
    so far the best i can do is 6 degrees difference between #1 and #2 gpu's. I wonder if my Artic cooling Acello s 2 GPU coolers from myold sli pairing of 2 8800 gt's would fit on my GTX 260 GPU's.

5. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    This is what i did , put two fans(1600rpm Scythe s-flex) on it , takes 5°C off and keeps the cards at the same temp.

[​IMG]

6. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    I have a single 120mm fan mounted above my 295's and it keeps the 4 GPU's within about 2°C of each other.

7. studabakahawk

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    ok It took all day but I got the 2 cards to idel at 42 I took the side mounted fan out sealed up the duct and placed a fan with a temporary cardboard vent, sucking air out of the inside gpu exhaust vent at back of computer case. I placed an 80 mm fan at the front of the 2 gpus blowing air into and through the stock cooling bodies.
    Cards now dont go past 60 under load in COD5 or TombRaider Underworld.
    running GTX 260 SOC and a Palit gtx 260 with twin fan Gigabyte Soc is in inside position.
    also have antec flex fan blowing additional air into inside fan aperture with temp cardboard duct.
    I dont see much info around the net concerning heat situation with SLI\Xfire card set up im actually a little suprised there isnt more info,at least id expect to see more people asking ways to combat hi inside card temps.
    thanks for your input Gurus.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Unless a card is defective, reducing high temps for CPU/GPU/chipset etc, is just a matter of better case air flow and/or wire management. There wasn't really anything wrong with your temps to begin with.

9. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    Yeah, those temps were fine.

But they are better now :)

10. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    i have my rig this way:

[​IMG]

and btw forget about the power conectors..

11. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    YuKsS are those 2 fans on the side panel taking cool air in to blow over your cards or are they exhausting hot air away from your cards

12. studabakahawk

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    Thats nice set up and very clean cable management, thats my next element im going to have to attack my case looks like a snake pit!
    Im defering going to H2O cooling,I know its very efficent and would give me somemore overhead for O\C'ing.
    Im at my budget limit for this winter as I dropped 200,per on my GPU's and luckily i got my PSU (etasis 750 ) in that recent newegg shellshocker it was 50 bucks , I gave my Kid my Antec 750, as i put 2 4850 in his Xfire rig.(110 per thereMerry Christmas!) the cheap very robust PSU deal made it possible for me to Pick up the 2 additional GTX cards for my rig.
    Anyway until i can get my rig looking more like your,sans the H2O cooling ill wont post any pics!
    again thanks for your input, this is best place on the net to get timely and correct info and facts.
    Im big fan of fabricating ducting and thermal dynamics. I am thinking of departmentalizing my case for better air management. I live by air in from front and out the rear.

13. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    those fans are for exhaust air and in the same way to push air into the radiator..

the radiator in mounted in the side door.. here some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    Ok. Now I see.....thanks for those pics.