Heat concerns

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Donn1nger_69, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Donn1nger_69

Donn1nger_69 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x1900xt
    Hi there I built my computer last week and noticed that my AMD athlon 3800+ X2 was running at 43 degrees at idle and sometimes at 58 degrees (hottest ever recorded) This is according to asus PC probe. Is this a problem I am using an Asus A8R-MVP.

2. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    Well, It is indeed quite high(As far as I know atleast), however check if your CPU -fan makes a full contact with your CPU and that you have enough airflow in your Case to take away the hot air:) Hope this will help you:rolleyes:

3. Fluesopp

Fluesopp Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 5870 in CF
    When you see high temps, have you tried to touch the cpu-cooler(the plate that touch the cpu) if that is not hot, the temps are wrong. Try that.

4. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

This is not necessarily true. In fact, I think it is more incorrect than anything. Having a warm temperature reading and a cool heatsink usually signifies that the heatsink is not making proper contact with the CPU. All heatsinks should feel at least slightly warm, as that shows they are taking thermal energy from the processor.

What heatsink are you using to cool your processor, Donn1nger_69?

5. DarkMessenger03

DarkMessenger03 Member Guru

GPU:
    Saphire VaporX HD 5870 1G
    That's pretty hot, especially if that 58 degrees is a idle temperature reading. Take off the hsf and clean the bottom of it with a anti static cloth, and then wipe off the cpu. Then apply some thermal compound to the cpu.

I find it more convenient to have the motherboard outside of the case when I mount the hsf to my cpu socket, so that I can clearly see that the bottom is making contact with the cpu up close.

HTH

6. Donn1nger_69

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x1900xt
    I am using the standerd heatsink. And when I touch it, it is pretty hot but really not extremely hot feels only slightly hotter than my Ram. I have a case with 5 fans 2 blowing air in the front 1 in the side blowing air in and two at the back blowing air out soI dont think this is a problem. My voltage is 1.375. Is there another programme that I can check my cpu tempreture motherboard monitor does not support my motherboard. I just took of the fan and clean the cpu and the heatsink I also Applied some new thermal paste would the quatity i put amke a big difference. BTW I still have the same temps. Could it be linked to cool n quiet?? I ahve disabled it in my bios but i still have the programme installed. I have enabled asus qfan in my bios is this a problem plaes Help this is getting really irritating

7. Chibby

Chibby Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800pro 128MB @ 418|381
    get prime95 and everest ...

then run the p95 torture test and read out the load temp in everest ... post it here .. thx ... would be interresting ..

8. Donn1nger_69

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x1900xt
    I just ran Prime 95 in both cores at the same time Got CPU Tempreture up to 73 degrees celsius maximum. Also Asus PC Probe reads out at the same as Speed fan And Everest so now im stuck got a problem any suggetsions?? maybe I didnt install something or I didnt change a setting in the bios by the way my voltag3e is 1.375?? ANt suggestions??

9. Chibby

Chibby Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800pro 128MB @ 418|381
    have you got some spare $$?
    buy a new HSF! :)

10. Donn1nger_69

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x1900xt
    Got not a cent left after i just built this cant anybody help

11. bucdan

bucdan Member

that is very odd about a 64 bit core heating up to 58C wow......i say save some money up and buy a thermalright heatsink from newegg or ebay or wherever are good deals and get a xp-90C from thermalright..... i may seem a bit heavy but it is very goood cooling.... and the fan.... buy a thermaltake led 3 in 1 smart fan 90mm and make it run under manual..fan speed control(itll tell u how to do it) and put the setting of the fan to medium....so which means just turn the head of the adjuster to the middle and leave it.... and see ur settings... the LED will make ur comp look a bit nicer on that copper heatsink.....no one can really trust stock heatsink and they're not good looking well at least to me.....

well this is the fan i say u get in 90 mm: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/dcfans/led/bluesmart.htm

check the wedsite of thermalright: http://www.thermalright.com/

u may not be a overclocker but it'll probably help..(more likely it will)

PS: just a suggestion thats all cause im usin these stuff to stay cool..

12. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    how much thermal paste did you use? and what type?