Headphones recognised as speakers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by robis85, Jun 11, 2019.

1. robis85

robis85 Member

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    Hello, so i bought my new headphones and used them for awhile now and noticed that my headphones are recognised as speakers somewhy? i have no speakers connected https://prnt.sc/o0jel7 i think there shouldnt be "speakers" and realtek audio manager at once? When i open my realtek manager i got 3 options there when i press on green analog: https://prnt.sc/o0jfqt and https://prnt.sc/o0jfed. My question is: is something bad with my drivers and will it cause any problems to my pc? or if not should i change from Current state: front speakers out to headphones cuz i use headphones? I tried changing and noticed alot stronger sound with "headphones" option, but i was used to another one and it sounds weird now?

Thanks alot for help ! :p

2. robis85

robis85 Member

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    P.S i havent bought any soundcard and my headphones are cheap sampson for 30$

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    There is an option in Realtek audio manager to show or not an icon in system tray area. Find options among the icons in the right lower corner https://prnt.sc/o0jfqt

robis85 likes this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    As for what you select in the pop-up dialog - headphones or speakers - is up to you. No harm to PC.

PS There is no way for audio card to detect what exactly was plugged in - speakers or headphones.

PPS It is assumed that user plugs speakers to the back panel socket (kinda permanent), and headphones - to the front panel socket (kinda temporarily). Audio card has a feature of muting the back panel plugged device (presumably speakers) when user plugs something (headphones or speakers) to the front panel socket. That feature can also be configured in the settings of Realtek audio manager.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    robis85 likes this.

5. robis85

robis85 Member

GPU:
    gtx 960 1gb
    Thanks alot for the reply! So do u think it would be better setting it as it should be? "headphones"? it seems to double in volume, but its kinda hitting my ears hard in games i gotta lower sound in game from like 40% to like 10% to not get my ears f*** :D

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Sure, use the setting you like more.

robis85 likes this.
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    That's normal. It's not the headphones themselves that are recognized, it's the connection. The system can recognize you plugged something to the audio out port, but it can't tell what it is. You could just as well connect a cable to the audio out that then goes to the audio in. It would still say "speakers".

If the realtek chip has a setting to set the audio out to "headphones", then that means the on-board audio has a headphone pre-amp somewhere that is enabled when selecting "headphones". You can use that if your headphones are too silent. This happens with high impedance headphones, because they require more power. Those require a pre-amp. However, the Sampson headphones are almost certainly not high impedance (they should say something like "32 Ω impedance" on the box or the spec sheet) and thus do not need it.

If the sound is too loud when you select "headphones", then don't select it.

robis85 likes this.
  8. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Try updating the audio software to the latest version (Gigabyte Realtek audio).
    What is the model number of the gigabyte motherboard?
    By weird, do you mean a more bloated (louder, less detailed) bass?

robis85 likes this.