Headphones on z170-a problem

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by SerjRozov, Apr 9, 2021.

1. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Hello there!
    I hope someone can help me out with my old asus z170-a mobo and its annoying rear panel (green port(aux?)) +headphones (like any headphones!) issue that i cant figure out for 4 years already lol

#1 i've got an open-stand pc without front panel io of any kind (thats my biggest concern actually)
    #2 as of now my headphones connected via monitor -_-
    #3 rear (green) io working fine with speekers, but as soon as i plug in any headphones its silent
    #4 when h/p plugged into rear io maximum what i've been capable of to get from em is windows sounds (check sound) but as soon as i turning yt/movie/game anything i can only hear distorted noise like shhh (and thats when volume is maxed)
    Issue is on both win7 and 20h2
    Tried different realtek drivers even the old ones with old ui where its suppose to give you choice how to configure yr setup, tried every setting in windows audio settings, mixers and sh** , googled, youtubed, ddued lol setting uped microsoft default drivers and just given up lol
    I hope someone will give me some advice of what exactly my issue is, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Maybe it's time to forego onboard audio and get yourself a nice external USB device. This way you can place it on your desk wherever you like. On a side note, Creative G6 refurbs are $80 on their shop, and if they have a 30% off sale, even cheaper.

Or bite the bullet, and move onto a dedicated DAC/amp stack.

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    For gaming, voice and basic music listening just get a USB soundcard and disable that onboard card, since to me it sounds like it is smoked.
    Not sure about your budget, but with 25-250 Ohm cans Creative X3 as example does a good job for gaming and using voice at the same time, it's build in mic amp is pretty good, got a few headset mic's that need boost enaged on my onboard chip, the X3 makes them go trough loud and clear without boost.

Just did a comparison with my new DT-880's 600 Ohm between X3, onboard soundcard, uac-8 direct and uac-8 to HA6000 headphone amp.
    UAC on it's own does not supply enough juice, neither does the X3.
    While the onboard chip can drive them with ease there is some distortion, noticed it myself mainly in the mid frequencies.
    To my surprise the HA6000 has enough juice to make them play loud while still keeping the signal clean and pleasant, which is crazy considering it's price. :eek:

4. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Hello and thanks for your replies.
    Ofc i'll consider buying smth but there s another point in my question. Its definitely not fried it has no problem when speekers pluged in. The question is why it dont want to work with headphones. My stake is that it wants for the front panel to be pluged in also but anyway

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Does the software detect when you switch to headphone in the back?
    I would deffo try the front panel, note which connector (HDA/AC97) your front panel offers, bit weird that it doesn't work at the back thou, the audio cards control panel is stereo all the time or does it switch to surround?
    Also switching between HD Audio and AC97 via Realtek HD Audio Manager found in Windows Control Panel could do the trick, could be set wrong there.

Latest standalone driver on Realteks site for the chip is 6.0.1.8186 (2.82)?
    Think Windows HDA drivers are newer (6.0.9066.1), if the Realtek app doesn't install automatic look for Realtek Audio control in the Microsoft Store, but again, that is HDA then.

Microsoft Update Catalog

Cab file needs to be extracted and device updated via device manager by browsing for the driver and pointing into the extracted folder, although, Windows Update should already have installed it, could also still wait as an optional update.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The port should have some impedance sensing to detect headphones. Maybe something is awry with that mode?

7. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Hello again!
    So I got it sorted out, headphones are now working in rear io aux as they should hooray

Though I can't actually say how it worked out, cuz of many body movements in the process lol
    Like for a year or so h\p were plugged into a monitor, speekers to aux in the mobos rear io, but as soon as I plugged in h\p in the same aux port there was just silence or maximum are scratching sounds when high volume .
    Tried many different Realtek drivers, used DDU and what not.
    Then on this weekend I decided to try to get the sound out of hdmi (cuz on a daily basis I use DP) with Nvidia HDA like i was thinking that it will benefit the sound some how lol
    Anyway I did cleaned Realtek driver with DDU, then 465.89 with DDU, installed 466.11 with NvHDA plugged in hdmi and was goofying around in windows with like 2 monitors in 1 lol (I got just one actually) so there were 2 instances with my Monitor in Sound Devices manager with both NvHDAs, but one of them could handle 24bit 48hz and the other just 16bit I was trying to figure out why is that so, wasted a lot of time, was pissed off already then just accidentally tried plug in my other set of h\p into that rear io aux and it worked lol and the driver for this Universal device with HDA support was Microsoft's dated at 09.05.2020 then I decided to update it with MS updating driver tool to RealTek's and it made it ver. 6.0.1.7796 dated by 12.04.2016 lol actually on Asus site in driver section of my mobo there's one of 2017. But I'm kinda sic of this audio drivers thing to experiment further to stay without sound again lol
    Thanks for your support! Maybe it'll help someone, GL!