HDR Gaming on AMD RX 400 Series Cards Limited to 8-bit via HDMI

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    And AMD trolls will NOW start to bash Nvidia for doing exactly the same as AMD...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Has anyone here played SW2 on a HDR display? If so how is it? I watched Marco Polo on Netflix on my HDR TV - at first I liked it, it was noticeably like more vibrant and nice looking, but after a while the brightness just kind of hurt my eyes. My screen is calibrated for the room, but I'm not really sure how HDR effects that calibration.

4. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    For all I care HDMI belongs in the dumpster right there with DVI, insofar the they really intend to get rid of DVI, which at least AMD seems to be.

DisplayPort 1.3 will hopefully remedy the bandwidth issues of 'current gen' ports.

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I believe the spec demands some absurd maximum achievable brightness for displays to be branded with it. It shouldn't affect anything if you calibrated the TV to a specific max brightness and any dynamic brightness/backlight mode isn't on.

6. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    @Hilbert, I don't think this has much effect on Ultra HD movies since those are generally 24FPS, not 60, so there should be enough bandwidth to support 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.0. It is only a problem for PCs that use 60Hz to upsample video (24 -> 60Hz upsample can be crappy) or for gaming of course. However, your movie comment doesn't seem to apply.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Depends a little, if the uplink is fully connected at a HDMI 2.0 handshake at 60Hz it might be an issue. In a lot of situations say where you'd use say KODI set at a variable refresh rates it lowers the UHD TV refresh rate to match at say 50 / 30 or indeed 24Hz, in such situations there would be enough bandwidth.

But sure, chances are that for movie playback this is not an issue.

8. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    So does this only apply to 4k resolutions, or basically all HDMI-monitors?

9. Marios145

Marios145 Active Member

Why is hdmi still alive?Can't everyone(tv/monitors/gpus) just make it legacy and convert to DP???

10. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    How does this happen when the XB1S supports 10-bit HDR over HDMI? Is it just 8-bit when at 4K and 10-bit at 1080p?

EDIT - It helps if I read the article. NVM!

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, this only effects UHD.

12. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Guys, Guys, sorry to disappoint you but both 2k BluRay and 4K BluRay is 4:2:0.
    Its the BluRay standard.
    In that mode, you can do 10bit in 4K and 60hz.

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Marios145
    why?
    just so every cheap no name 40in for 300$ has it?
    ever thought that that it might cost more (than hdmi), which will affect prices for millions of ppl on this planet buying their tv/monitor based on price?
    and they might not even care/have/use a hdr disc/player/tv.

not even talking about all those business/office computers, they sure all need HDR capable UHD screens to check their email.

yeah, why not equip ever desktop with a 1080sli setup for that matter, right?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  14. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    You are wrong, there is no point in using HDMI!

1. Fact, DP has more bandwidth and always beats HDMI in adding new features.
    2. Fact, you have to PAY for HDMI and DP is FREE!
    The FREE part is whats important!
    The only reason we still have HDMI is for backwards compatibility, they cant kill it.

If electronic companies cared enough about progress, they can kill HDMI in their next years models and offer HDMI 2.0b to DP dongles with every product model year 2016 and 2017, than in 2018 offer the dongles as paid accessory and that it, forget about HDMI.

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    HDMI is the standard for home entertainment, it's cheap, secured (yeah major love DRM)... etc etc

DVI is still THE standard for asiatic computer (despite it lost each year facing DP)

DP is for everything pro and/or computer. and it is more versatile than those upster

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @MegaFalloutFan
    Yes there is. How about the billions of ppl on this planet, that are not using hdr in any way (no gaming/movies or for office pc's).
    You expect everyone to switch out half of their hardware, because of one application bottlenecking (hdr gaming@ FHD/UHD)?
    Right.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Its not just about HDR, there are ton of features current and future.

For starters No ONE is taking away your current monitor, so your comment has zero logic.
    Also every PC monitor in the last 5 years moved on to DP.
    All 1440p and higher moved to DP since day one, HDMI 2.0 is new.
    The one ones that do have HDMI 2.0, usually have one port and the rest is DP.
    So PC monitors are NOT the issue, we ALREADY moved on.
    The issue is everything else, TVs, Consoles, BluRay player etc

18. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    It's not just HDR gaming even the standard 4K 4:4:4 10-bit @ 60hz can't be achieved with HDMI 2.0 which Is disgusting for people using PC on 4K HDR TV's
    P.S Movies are always encoded at 4:2:0 so even If your device was set to display 4:4:4 It will downconvert to 4:2:0 when playing a video source.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Its has become the standard for the Home Entertainment industry and to change that would cause a bunch of problems for the manufacturers as well as the consumers. Maybe the Manufacturers of TVs and other devices that use HDMI only have a deal where it does not cost them alot to use HDMI since they might have bought HDMI licenses in bulk.

20. wiak

wiak Member

GPU:
    RX 480 Gaming X
    nothing new, hdmi is a dead end, fun fact, you can connect a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter to a 5 year old HD 7900 series card and get full hdmi 2.0 with RGB 8bit 4:4:4 ... lol

why is hdmi still a thing amazed me, long live the displayport overlords

also VGA & DVI is DEAD, been that for awhile, the writing has been on the freaking wall for the past 5 YEARS, both amd and intel has removed those from their products, you will only find those on partner cards

didnt nvidia also do some funky things with their first so-called hdmi 2.0 cards?, going 4:2:0 or something instead of 4:4:4?

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/pr...layport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016