HDR Benchmarks perf impact on AMD (-2%) vs Nvidia (-10%) - 12 Games at 4K HDR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2018.

1. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    The whole HDR project is flawed. It will reach the limit of the sunlight brightness and we will need sunglasses in the near future. Personally, I do not want to wear anything to see realistic images in my living room. I want to enjoy my TV like I already do for more than two decades now.

2. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    If you try x27 or pg27uq, you will change you're mind ;)

3. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    If you don't want it, don't buy it ;)

4. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    I won't. I do not want to be embarrassed wearing sunglasses inside my house in 2022 when I watch an HDR50 movie. They are gonna troll me like being a blind fellow.

-Tj- likes this.

5. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    They donĀ“t complain about that, furthermore they say that hdr on previous monitors is mediocre in comparison... because of the lower nits.

6. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Exactly, people get blown away from hdr on new models like these.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Blown by blinding my eyes from that extreme brightness, sounds terrible lol

I'm not buying any hdr gimmick in the near future, artifical hdr + bloom in games is brightening enough to the point it can be a bad joke

[​IMG]

8. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Hdr is not really about blinding bloom effects, it brings better contrast ratios and color accuracy.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That's just crappy bloom on Syndicate. It has nothing to do with HDR. That said, I don't have a problem with it being an option. What is usually the problem are these graphical options frequently have unintended ancillary effects. Trying to implement HDR in Windows 10 for example, is a mess.

10. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    LOL

You fail

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    :p what ever
    I know but it's similar thing when it comes to that brightness, deep/high contrast and blacks can also done on a good Panel too - i.e. VA

HDR may look cool with brighter areas and overblown sun flares, etc. But exposing your eyes to that is not really safe either, just like those VR headsets with them micro LCD's in front of your eyeball. Call me paranoid, but I cherish my eyes more.

That said I'm not falling for this gimmick just yet, maaybe in near future when it's proven to be ok or made to be more eye friendly.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    warlord likes this.
  12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I don't think I would want a 1,000+ nit monitor that close to my face. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've done a lot of reading lately in regards to HDR due to me picking up one recently and the general concept that I've gathered is that TVs have higher nits because they are further away and that gaming monitors will generally have less as to avoid eye straining and unnecessarily too bright. I had to drop my HDR monitor (which I believe honestly only does like 300 or so nit) down to 40% panel brightness because it was just too damn blinding in HDR titles (and it looked more natural). Granted I have very bad light sensitivity so I may not be the best judge for this, I just don't see why anyone would want that level of brightness right in front of your face. The biggest benefit I have seen with HDR is the contrast and lighting and a little more oomph to the colors, but you don't need the brightness cranked up to get that. It doesn't add any sort of bloom, but it can cause bloom effects that already exist to be really intense.. I personally wouldn't want to sit that close to a screen blasting that much brightness, but again I'm different so this may just be a matter of personal choice. It's a good thing you can lower panel brightness which does help :)