HDR Benchmarks perf impact on AMD (-2%) vs Nvidia (-10%) - 12 Games at 4K HDR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
  2. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Not really no, because HDMI 2.0 has 18GB/sec vs Display port 1.4 11GB, but also this is being used at 60Hz so both can provide enough bandwidth. The problem you have with Gsync it can only use display port but it's not really the issue we are seeing here since HDMI 2.0 is being used.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    dp1.2 has 18gbit
    dp1.4 has 32gbit

Hmdi2.0 has max 18gbit, real 14.4gbit
    Hmdi2.1 has now theoretical real 42.4gbit

4. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Yes it is. Almost 10 months worth of driver updates improved the perf a lot. Even the difference between 18.6.1 and 18.7.1 is around 5% on average. For many games had driver optimisations since also, some 20%+

5. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Hasn't AMD hardware & drivers been processing the equivalent of HDR internally for years now before downgrading to display? Shouldn't really impact AMD cards at all beyond margin of error for benchmarking.

6. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Doesn't have to be. Nvidia used to win tessellation tests quite easily because they were stronger at that. AMD even had to make a slider to cut down on the tessellation levels to keep up, not that it really mattered that much because not all games had tessellation at all but I do remember Crysis 2 taking a huge hit on the AMD card I had. (The tessellation addition was sponsored by Nvida though).
    Same is true here, how many have HDR screens? By the time they become more common Nvidia will put in extra effort to catch up.

rl66 likes this.
  7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it is not as easy as that...

AMD and NVidia don't use the same way to render the same thing... it's like comparing an american muscle car with a german hybrid GT both do the job, but not the same way.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i agree.
    but as 4K display are on last year 1080P s price, HDR shouldn't be too far either in term of mass production... we will see.

9. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    I get 1 frame less on minimums.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  10. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Interesting findings.

The thing that puzzles me about this whole HDR craze is you can pick up a 55" LG 4K HDR TV for less than $400USD, but when it comes to a PC monitor, HDR is a $500+ premium. What a joke?!

It's the single-most over-priced feature on monitors these days. It even beats the premium people pay for G-sync. Pure ridiculousness.

Maddness likes this.

11. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    Again, this isn't an issue. As long as the display is using RGB Full @ 4k when rendering HDR and it is set as such in the NVCP ( Which I posted in my previous reply.) there is no performance loss.

12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    You can find some good ones out there for not too bad. I got this one recently on sale for $440 and it's been great, granted the HDR implementation isn't the best out there: Acer XZ321QU. It's basically a Predator, however it has HDR instead of Gsync which was a bigger deal to me. Although it's HDR isn't the best out there it looks amazing when I have it turned on and is well worth it. I'm still surprised to hear it takes an FPS hit, although I haven't noticed it myself.

13. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Well, for instance on my 800euro Philips 55" 4k HDR TV it does not support the same color levels, 4:4:4 as my monitor does despite the monitor being 8bit and the TV 10bit.
    And when I scroll the text I can see more problems with the text for instance, it's not as high quality as the monitor on many levels.

14. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Yup the premium the manufacturers are charging is absolutely absurd and straight highway robbery.

Interesting, my Vizio P55-C1 displays no such issue when scrolling web pages etc, I actually finally have a screen I prefer to my ASUS VG278H which came out in 2011

ubercake likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

both vendors process at up to 11bit internally

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    The whole thing looks a bit fishy...

17. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    but but but . . .RTX ray tracing!

idk, it's like nvidia doesn't care except w/their own tech. i'm sure when the HDR adoption rate increases, they'll consider looking into it.

until then:
    oh look! gameworks!

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is only one important thing to note... Less than 60fps on average and dips to pretty low fps. 4K HDR is not for high end cards.

19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    It takes some time to notice this, and perhaps my setting was slightly wrong...but I don't think there is any TV that matches a proper monitor. It also seems harder to get a TV with no black light bleeding compared to monitors, or perhaps I've been lucky.

20. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    ?

You can't use RGB with HDR . you can't use Full Range with HDR . you can only use YCbCr 4:2:2 with LIMITED when using HDR . Also Dolby vision is only 4:2:0 LIMITED , so I don't understand where did you get this information . Also that's what Nvidia Automatically is doing . if you don't HDR signal won't be working on the TV or monitor