HDMI stopped working after power outage

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ejziponken, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Hi!

Had a power outage last night. Once it came back my HDMI port on my 3080 card did no longer detect my Samsung TV.

I ruled out the TV being the issue by using the Intel integrated HDMI port and it works. I used DDU in safe mode and reinstalled Nvidia drivers with no success.

Did the port break? What other steps can I take trying to fix this? :S

2. teots

teots Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    What brand and model is your 3080 card ? I don't think a power outage can break HDMI port.
    Hope the power power outage did not damage the card. Did you try other port ?

3. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

I have an MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio. Its only one HDMI port on it, so I cant really try another without some kind of adapter that I dont have. My main monitor works fine in its own displayport on the 3080.

4. teots

teots Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    If the rest of the ports are fine, the circuit for the hdmi port must have been damaged by the power outage due to poor engineering. Why not send your card for RMA.

DanielRX likes this.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I accidentally put a heavy table on one of my Display Port cables which made my monitor shut off.
    Turns out this caused a short inside the cable which killed that port on the monitor, luckily the gfx card survived and the monitor has another DP input to use.
    I could have had it repaired under warranty but as the monitor is otherwise flawless I didnt want to get back a crappy 2nd hand unit with other potential issues (tons of them were being sold on Amazon 'used' and had dreadful complaints listed!).
    Stated in case you co-incidentally crushed a cable at the same time.

A power outage on my old AV pre-amp/processor blew 2 of its 3 internal fuses.
    The circuit connected to the fuse that didnt blow was damaged, luckily I didnt need to use that part of it and got the Pre-amp going again.
    Strangely none of my other equipment in the house suffered.
    Power outages can be caused by issues that make mains voltage spike massively higher for a split moment before the supply shuts down.
    If a fuse doesnt blow fast enough a strong spike voltage can cause havoc.

Its possible you have a ground loop which causes some of the ground current to flow between different electrical items.
    ie between your PC and monitor.
    A voltage spike on the mains may have caused a high current to flow from the monitor to the PC (through the HDMI cable), causing damage to your gfx card.
    Only a suggestion but the principle is possible. This is the same problem that can cause PC processing noises to come out of your PC speakers.

If that port on your card doesnt function with any display, the only thing you can do is send it to NVidia for repair, or not use that port again.
    There is no magic cure.
    The problem then is, what quality of card will be returned to you?
    It will for sure not be a new card and is unlikely to be the actual card you sent them, it will likely be another card sent in for repair that is ready to ship.
    fyi

6. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Seems like my TV also got hit.. Its been all sluggish today, booting up really slow, loosing contact with my contoller so I have to pair them again and so on.. :/

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Dude, this sucks so much. I can't tell you how much hardware I've lost over the years from bad storms. Even with surge protectors, UPS's, whatever stuff to protect things. We just get NASTY lightning and it has been breaking things since I've lived here (20+ years)

Back in the day I was in my room playing the original F.E.A.R. on my something like a 2.6GHz Pentium 4 Northwood and an ATI 9600 XT, had headphones on and didn't realize there was a terrible storm. A huge power surge hit and the computer was never the same. It would boot and sort of run stuff, but BSOD's and CTD's were prevalant. I did so much testing and troubleshooting and decided it did something to the VIA chipset in the motherboard. I had to just give up and recycle all of it.

Found out the next day that my friend was having issues with his Athlon XP 2500+ and ATI 9500 Pro..........and he also ended up just recycling all of it. Not sure how to help other than to share my experiences. If things feel "off" after a power surge or power outage you are NOT crazy!

Espionage724 likes this.
  8. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Something simular happend to me sometime ago, However after missing around i found that if a used a DP cable to connect the monitor and a HDMI cable second (both connected at the samtime) and then uplug the DP cable the monitor then started working on the HDMI again, but if i truned the monitor off at the wall socket or say i used DDU to clean the drivers i would have to connect both cables again to get funtioning again on the HDMI port, now i dont know if this was a monitor problem or card...

9. teots

teots Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    The gpu probably has some damages from electrostatic charges produced by lighting storm.
    To confirm it's the gpu, plug a console or video player to the monitor.

10. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Seems to be both the TV and the 3080 having issues. Got some money back from insurance for the TV, so I bought a new one today (LG C2).
    Sending the 3080 for repair, the insurance say it will cover the cost for that too.

Still the hassle of all this sucks. I now also bought a APC Essential SurgeArrest 5x https://www.inet.se/produkt/6302468/apc-essential-surgearrest-5x-uttag
    Should hopefully give some future protection against this kind of thing.

Question tho: Can a HDMI cable transfer electricity? Im not exactly sure how both the TV and the 3080 got damaged. They where not connected to the same power outlet. And its weird its only the HDMI port.. So I guess the surge went into my TV, then the HDMI cable and then the HDMI port on my 3080?

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thats its basic function.
    If it cant carry current it would have no use.

The question is whether any form of mains current could end up on it.
    The evidence of ground loops says yes.
    This is when a piece of equipment with no ground (earth) is connected to equipment that does use an earth. The HDMI lead shield can serve as a connection from one to the other.
    I have had PC processing noise issues (coming out of the AV speakers) that only appear after connecting an HDMI cable from my PC to my AV system, others have reported the same.

Another potential (pun intended ;)):
    When a serious mains 'over voltage' happens components can be damaged that fail by short circuiting before enough current flows to blow a fuse.
    This would link mains voltage (and the higher than mains voltage fault) to areas that were not designed for it.
    There could be ways a momentary high current burst can flow through signal wires, killing circuits on both ends of the cable.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Yes.

Source: Zapped myself a bunch of times with a faulty hdmi cable.

13. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully It stopped at the HDMI port and didnt dmg anything else in the PC. xD